I want to dive Blue Springs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flik

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

My partner and I will be in Orlando from October 26th to November 1st and if at all possible would like to dive Blue Springs.

1) Would this be possible at this time of year?

2) As we are from the UK, we would need full equipment rental (tanks, weights, suits, the works). We are also used to diving with an instructor/dive master, and would not want to guide on our own.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks,
Flik

Blue Springs is a cave from about 80 feet. There can be a lot of current at times as it is a spring. While seemingly a benign dive people do die here, in fact recently two diver perished. If I were you I would rent a car and take a drive down to West Palm Beach an do some drifts. Much more rewarding than an up down in a hole.

Yes, you can dive the spring at this time of year. It is usually still pretty warm outside. Blue Spring is a nice dive that should not need a guide as long as you do not exceed the limits of your training. Watch the current coming out of the spring, it can be strong. If you are not a cave diver, then do not go past the sign at the mouth of the cave.

Hi All,

My partner and I will be in Orlando from October 26th to November 1st and if at all possible would like to dive Blue Springs.

1) Would this be possible at this time of year?

2) As we are from the UK, we would need full equipment rental (tanks, weights, suits, the works). We are also used to diving with an instructor/dive master, and would not want to guide on our own.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks,
Flik

You will want to call in advance to the park to make sure they don't close to divers. We are getting ready to have a cool down and the manatee will move in. Once they get x number they close.. Scuba Diversions in Longwood, fl. Would be a good place to get gear. He rents Zeagles with computers on the rental regs.

Did 2 dives at Blue springs. There was no sign down at the cave! If you live in Florida and like holes in the ground it is a good cheap dive. Traveling from out of the country there are much better dives to do. Holes in the ground I would recomend Paradise Springs, Manatee Spring's, Blue Grotto, Devils Den, Troy Springs, Orange Grove Sink or Ginny Springs. The best diving would be West Palm, Jupiter, Key Largo and Tavernier Florida.

I just got certified last month and Blue Spring was my checkout dive. I have been back there twice since then. I find no difficulty in the dive, the current did not adversely affect my dives. My instructor had me use an extra pound of weight to compensate for the flow. Seminole Scuba (407 333-8856) is the dive shop that I use. It is a convenient shop to use for diving BS. The owner is also from UK.

I just got certified last month and Blue Spring was my checkout dive. I have been back there twice since then. I find no difficulty in the dive, the current did not adversely affect my dives. My instructor had me use an extra pound of weight to compensate for the flow. Seminole Scuba (407 333-8856) is the dive shop that I use. It is a convenient shop to use for diving BS. The owner is also from UK.

Your post is exactly why non cave certified divers die in Florida caves every year. Your instructor took you to a cave then over weighted you then did a check out dive. Now you have been back twice with out proper instruction in over head environment stating the current is no problem. I remember back in the 80's when a group of newly minted OW divers came down from Tennesse to dive the springs because that is where they did their open water dives. They chose Royal, they chose poorly, four drowned in the cave ten feet from the entrance. Three LT's from nuclear power school in Orlando died in Orange Groove. Want to guess where they did their checkout dive?You have world class diving a 3 hour drive away take advantage of it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom