Dress Me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firediver293

Fallen Hero
Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal.

I will be in Florida in late March/early April. Hailing from the land of corn and cows (Indiana), my diving consists of quarry, lake, river, and pond diving (both recreationally - if that is really possible, and as a Public Safety Diver).

I usually dive dry or with a 7mm wetsuit complete with gloves, boots, and hood (if needed). My other gear is a back inflation, weight integrated BCD (w/ 14 lbs) and an additional 10-15 on the waist.

Now is your chance to dress me. Like most divers, I have acculated a lot of stuff, so chances are, I have it. 1mm, 3/2mm, 5mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, John, Streamer, Drysuit, assorted thickness gloves, hoods, etc. are in my dive boxes. So what do I need to bring to dive comfortably (and not stick out too much) in Florida? I hope to do a variety of diving over the two weeks I will be in town. Wreck, Deep, Current, Reef, Boat, Shore, you name it. Let's get wet.

i would dive a 3mm farmer john. you might even discard the pants and just
dive the shorty. but if you're going to be diving a lot, stick with the whole suit to conserve body heat (it's amazing how cold you can get after a full day of diving even in Florida)

if the water temperature is less than 80 degrees, i also like to dive a hood (i get
cold easy). gloves are not a must in Florida for most people, but my hands get
real cold, so i wear sailing gloves (with the tips of the thumb and index cut out).

you could also, of course, dive your dry suit, nothing wrong with that.
it's just that i haven't gotten around to buying one.

3-5mm, I typically don't need anything more than that. sometimes I'll even just use a 3mm shortie. but than again, I'm in South Florida (palm beach), it might depend on where exactly you'll be.

firediver293:
Okay, here's the deal.

I will be in Florida in late March/early April. Hailing from the land of corn and cows (Indiana), my diving consists of quarry, lake, river, and pond diving (both recreationally - if that is really possible, and as a Public Safety Diver).

I usually dive dry or with a 7mm wetsuit complete with gloves, boots, and hood (if needed). My other gear is a back inflation, weight integrated BCD (w/ 14 lbs) and an additional 10-15 on the waist.

Now is your chance to dress me. Like most divers, I have acculated a lot of stuff, so chances are, I have it. 1mm, 3/2mm, 5mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, John, Streamer, Drysuit, assorted thickness gloves, hoods, etc. are in my dive boxes. So what do I need to bring to dive comfortably (and not stick out too much) in Florida? I hope to do a variety of diving over the two weeks I will be in town. Wreck, Deep, Current, Reef, Boat, Shore, you name it. Let's get wet.

The answer to your question depends on exactly where in Florida you're going. There is a differance between North Florida and South Florida, the Atlantic side and the Gulf side. Water temp and vis veary greatly between these places and to give you a better answer to your question we need to know where you're going to be diving.

OK I just found your other post about being here in Ft. Lauderdal. A 3 mil full suit with gloves is all you should need being used to colder water and all. I would never dive a shorty even if the water was warm enough to be comfortable. If you just happen to bump into the reef or the edge of a wreck, and lets face it we all do at sometime or another, you'll be wishing you had the full suit. Even small cuts or scrapes hurt like H*&L in salt water.

When you get in town PM me and maybe we meet up and I can show you a few of our great wrecks.

DivesWithTurtle:
A string of pearls, a small brooch and black 2" spiked heels.
Where exactly do you pin the brooch?

IMWTK!

K.

I will second the 3mm farmer john with a hood. Very modular, I use mine for everything from the keys to the springs with the addition of gloves.

Padipro:
The answer to your question depends on exactly where in Florida you're going. There is a differance between North Florida and South Florida, the Atlantic side and the Gulf side. Water temp and vis veary greatly between these places and to give you a better answer to your question we need to know where you're going to be diving.

OK I just found your other post about being here in Ft. Lauderdal. A 3 mil full suit with gloves is all you should need being used to colder water and all. I would never dive a shorty even if the water was warm enough to be comfortable. If you just happen to bump into the reef or the edge of a wreck, and lets face it we all do at sometime or another, you'll be wishing you had the full suit. Even small cuts or scrapes hurt like H*&L in salt water.

When you get in town PM me and maybe we meet up and I can show you a few of our great wrecks.

Thanks Scott. I will be in both Lauderdale and Estero (west side). Would you do anything different for Gulf diving?

So based on the responses, it seems that Florida divers are somewhat like Indy divers (just with better tans). Some dive dry, some go light, and some go nekid (but that's another issue all together).

Just wanted to make sure that I was comfortable and not made fun of too much.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom