Law Enforcement Case of the Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
:fwc:

1902842_10152317064528349_8199963096575389719_n.jpg

Law Enforcement Case of the Week
Customs and Border Protection agents stopped a vessel with a multitude of resource violations and called us for assistance. Once on scene, the Miami-Dade based FWC officers conducted a thorough fisheries inspection that resulted in the finding of 85 wrung lobster tails on board the vessel. Of the 85 lobster tails, 18 were determined to be speared and all of them were undersized. The three men on board the vessel were also found to be in possession of two undersized hogfish. The captain of the vessel was subsequently arrested and all the dive equipment, lobster and hogfish were seized as evidence.

Lobster regulations: Spiny Lobster - Panulirus argus

#Lobster #LawEnforcement #Officers #Poacher #FWC #CaseoftheWeek

Pete,

What happens in cases like this? Are the vessel(s)/vehicle(s) seized as well?

I'm always amazed when I see these busts. These guys got 85 lobsters. Ive never seen 85 lobsters, short or otherwise, on a day of diving

Pete,

What happens in cases like this? Are the vessel(s)/vehicle(s) seized as well?
It didn't say, but let's hope so!

it did say that they were all undersized.. no telling where they got them... and they might have raided some commercial traps as well. also possible is that they were taken inside the refuge areas.

wow.....how much can 85 lobster tails bring in ?..........who's buying them? are they for friends and family?

wow.....how much can 85 lobster tails bring in ?..........who's buying them? are they for friends and family?
I've never had the opportunity, but I'm convinced I could eat 85 lobsters in a week (or the tails). That's like 12 a day, so you wouldn't eat anything else, but it seems possible.

i once ate 2 lbs of snow crab -- and that was the weight of the meat w/o the shell...

i've only seen 85 lobster tails in the seafood section at the store :(

Just another day in Miami-Dade.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 05:27 PM ----------

They're just selfish, law breaking hoarders. There's plenty more folks just like them.

A good argument for bringing back keel-hauling and bow spritting. The latter of which has the most impact in high seas as they see the wave coming that is going to smack them simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom