Non-BHB Local Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djtimmy77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Decided to do an exploratory dive at a local spot where we saw nudis while snorkeling last weekend. Wave forecast was low and beach cams showed clear water. Unfortunately I waited till late afternoon which saw a switch in wind direction creating wind chop and thus a lot of surge making photography a real challenge. Despite that, I gave it some effort to capture some of the critters I saw today.

Not great pics but the spot has potential!

jpeg-4937.jpg

jpeg-4941.jpg

jpeg-4938.jpg

jpeg-4950.jpg

jpeg-4949.jpg

jpeg-4945.jpg

jpeg-4954.jpg

It is Coral Cove. Went back early this morning to try it with offshore wind rather than the south wind in the afternoon. Much better but still enough surge to make supermacro photos pretty difficult. Saw a variety of Aglaja that is new to me.

jpeg-4964.jpg

jpeg-4967.jpg

jpeg-4969.jpg

jpeg-4958.jpg

jpeg-4962.jpg

If conditions are right it's a nice area. Impossible to plan too far ahead of time. Don't forget to keep an eye open for doubloons and Jupiter cow paddys. :)

Tim: The second set are nice pictures too!

Just to be clear, you were on scuba or were you snorkeling? I'd assme the blennings would be difficult to photograph while free diving.

Can either of you (Tim or blauvelt) provide a bit of info on scuba diving the park: I did a google search and scubaboard search and came up with very little information (this is the park on Jupiter Island: correct?). Entry points, distance from shore, depth, slack time only?? etc. etc. I'd really appreciate it

Last edited:
I was on SCUBA. Just like BHB have to be out of the swim area. I simply parked by the restrooms and then went to the south. I spent most of my dives in 3-6' of water but you can probably get to 10' or so on the edge of the rocks. This means I was maybe 40-100 feet off the shoreline. Not far at all.

The trick to this place is watching weather/surf conditions as the windows with decent conditions are small. Any waves and you will be banging on the rocks with no vis.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2014 at 05:17 PM ----------

Also definitely snorkel it first....it will help you decide if you really want to dive it or not.

sporthlh,
If the ocean is rough, cross the street and make your way to Cato's bridge. Very small area with large fish, you can follow it around to the lighthouse and the north bridge of US 1. This is also a great place to kayak. The road divides the ocean and the intracoastal, in coming tide launch from the beach and come thru the inlet with the current to where you parked. Visa versa for the out going.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom