Solo diving and Florida.... Is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebutt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok, this might be a bit of a rant but I need to get it out.

Down in Florida a few months back on business and had a weekend to kill (ya, hardships...). Windy, so didn't hit the coast. Figured hey, I'm here, lets hit Ginnie and see what the cavern is all about. The cavern they market as dive-able for OW divers. I show up as a Tec 50 diver, IDC staff Instructor and Self Reliant instructor, in full tech kit and am rudely tuned away because I wish to dive solo, while OW divers with 5 dives each go ahead and dive around. Not that I'm trying to be anti social, but after a week on the road, some me time at depth relaxing was what I needed.

Anyways, I run by a local shop, shoot the breeze, mention what happened and they send me to Blue Grotto. Great time, no problem with solo, even gave me a reduced rate.

Going down in another few weeks and figured I'd call around and see if there were any similar solo places. what I've found is that basically no one honors solo certs.

Now, I'm not going into caves, or doing anything else that a buddy team of OW divers would do, so what the heck?

I can understand liability, but allowing someone to do something they are trained and certified for shouldn't be an issues. There should be no more liability for a certified and equipped solo diver than for a buddy pair of OW divers.

Anyways, is this a Florida thing? Lawyer thing?

Rant over. Discuss.

I think more of a select Florida Springs thing. If you plan coastal dives on future trips, especial Jupiter south, I don't think you will encounter any difficulties.

When I was there, I checked in by myself. I don't recall them asking if I had a buddy. Did they change their procedure?

just checked Ginny's website -- nothing on it says no solo that i can find.... says only certified cave divers in the caves etc... but OW and even discover scuba is allowed in the Ballroom. no not a clue?

I saw how this went down on the other board so I'll hold my tongue here. I see you modified the question here, but think if you asked the same question you asked before in the cave section here you would likely find the same result.

One thing I noticed when I was just there (hell you may have seen me loading and unloading) is there was another solo diver at ginnie that morning. She was in full tech gear with a rebreather, and may have been full cave, but she was definitely diving alone. I don't know her qualifications, or if they knew she was diving alone. It would be silly to allow someone to dive solo in the devils system if they are qualified but prevent them from diving the ballroom alone.

Just food for thought.

I've seen solo divers in the ballroom cavern at Ginnie more than once. No idea if they declared solo at the office.

I saw how this went down on the other board so I'll hold my tongue here. I see you modified the question here, but think if you asked the same question you asked before in the cave section here you would likely find the same result.

One thing I noticed when I was just there (hell you may have seen me loading and unloading) is there was another solo diver at ginnie that morning. She was in full tech gear with a rebreather, and may have been full cave, but she was definitely diving alone. I don't know her qualifications, or if they knew she was diving alone. It would be silly to allow someone to dive solo in the devils system if they are qualified but prevent them from diving the ballroom alone.

Just food for thought.

So by your post and not being privy to the other board, I take it this is not a sincere inquiry into the state of solo diving in Florida but rather specific to his experience at Ginny. May want to move it to the cave forum.

Funny thing about the boards is you never know who has read your post else ware. Seen this a lot over the years. Someone always catches it.

I'll bet if you hadn't told them you planned to dive solo, they would have never known.

Mike

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom