Key West diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coasterp

Registered
Reaction score
Heading to Key West in Aug. Would like some ideas on where to dive. I like shallower (40' - 60') dives, as I like taking pictures. Reefs are fine, as well as any shallow wrecks that are well developed. Any advice on dive operators and locations is welcome. Also, not sure if shore diving is an option there but if so, any info on that is also welcome.

Heading to Key West in Aug. Would like some ideas on where to dive. I like shallower (40' - 60') dives, as I like taking pictures. Reefs are fine, as well as any shallow wrecks that are well developed. Any advice on dive operators and locations is welcome. Also, not sure if shore diving is an option there but if so, any info on that is also welcome.

There is a shore dive at Key West. I can't remember the name of it though. I dove with Lost Reef Adventures when I was there, but that was only to see the Vandenberg.

Maybe you can call them and get the info for the shore dive location.

If you can get up to Key Largo there is a lot of shallower diving at Pennecamp Park. It's all boat diving though because the reef is a few miles offshore.

You'll need a boat to get to anything worthwhile, I'm pretty sure. I was just down at Sugarloaf Key in late June. We rented a boat and did several dives off Key West. Red Marker 32 (aka Toppino's) is not far out to the south from Key West, has three mooring balls and is a shallow spot on the edge of the reef, 30' or so max. There's good structure and lots of fish when we were there. There are many similarly close reef and wreck spots, if you have a boat. You can find their names via google, but from what I've seen you can't trust the GPS numbers that are posted online. I don't believe we found a single spot, of six or so we checked, that was anywhere near accurate.

If you go with a charter outfit, they'll take you to good spots. Looe Key is a particularly nice reef spot, a Reserve with oodles of fish, a bit north of Key West, 30 ft or less as well. The best option for there is to go with a dive op on Big Pine Key, 30 miles north. I've done Strike Zone, Innerspace, and Looe Key Resort and liked Looe Key Resort the best. It's also slightly closer to KW. LKR and Strike Zone are big boats with lots of snorkelers, but we got 60+ minutes on each of the two dives, with LKR. They were also a bit better price I think. Innerspace likely uses a smaller boat (it did a couple years ago), but based on one trip, I'd make sure I understood what their bottom time policy was, in advance.

There are lots of wrecks out of Key West as well, if that's of interest.

Have to concur with 00wabbit- Key Largo may be a better fit. The prices won't be as high either.

My recommendation there would be Quiescence Diving Services.

Looe Key Resort is only about a half-hour drive from Key West (the other Looe Key shops are only a couple minutes further). You can easily get up early and catch one of those dives - returning in time for the Key West Happy Hour specials...like 1/2 Shell Raw Bar buffalo shrimp ;-)

Thanks for all the input but I am definitely looking to go out of KW. We have a hotel there and I would like to dive but not make it a whole day of travel to do it. Trying to spend time with my non-diving wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom