Lobster Diving and Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last year was my first lobster season and I only hunted from a private boat. This season I'm going out on charters and shore diving. On the private boat we threw all the lobster in a cooler and split it equally between all divers. It was a great system, but I can't imagine everyone wants to share on a paid charter. Does everyone bring bags to separate their catch in the cooler? What's the etiquette here? Thanks.

i'm curious myself in that regards -- not sure how long they will last just in your catch bag for the ride back to the dock? i don't actually recall seeing a cooler for lobster or speared fish on most of the charters i've been on... just cooler for drinks/food.

I've seen individual coolers used but we just use a Home Depot bucket. Really any ridge type of container should work.

I have used funky colored zip ties before around the base of the antennae.

On charters, I use a mesh bag (hopefully filled with the bugs I caught!) thrown in the charter boat's cooler which usually is stocked with ice. While I'm on private boats, we do exactly what you do Mr Chen: split the catch.

Last edited:
I have used funky colored zip ties before around the base of the antennae.

It doesn't come off? Or you loop both?

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 04:42 PM ----------

i'm curious myself in that regards -- not sure how long they will last just in your catch bag for the ride back to the dock? i don't actually recall seeing a cooler for lobster or speared fish on most of the charters i've been on... just cooler for drinks/food.

I'm used to seeing a cooler with ice for the hunters. During mini season, everyone is going to be hunting. I don't want to purchase a mesh bag solely to store lobster, but I may just need to get a real cheap one for this purpose.

This is the cheapest one I see on Amazon. I'm swinging by my LDS right after work to see what they have. Amazon.com : Medium Galvanized Wire Handle Mesh Catch Bag, Yellow 17" x 28" : Diving Duffles : Sports & Outdoors

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 04:45 PM ----------

Who has plans so far?

My schedule so far is:

Wed
Sea Pup 6am
Shore Dive 10:30am
Wet Temptations 2:30pm

Thur
Capt Sl8r 4pm

I'm looking for some dive opportunities on Thur. Would anyone like to join me on my current dives? Anyone have dive ideas for Thur that I could join them on?

Florida lobsters do not need water. Putting them in or on ice will kill them pretty quickly. Once killed you do not want them to warm back up.

If you leave the bugs in a shaded spot, they will be fine for much longer than a 3 hr boat trip. Large bugs especially, can live for more than 24 hours in a relatively cool shaded spot if their legs are not ripped off and they are not bleeding blue jell everywhere.

I got a mesh bag at Stuart Scuba for $12. It's designed for snorkel, mask, fins, but should work just fine as a surface bag.

Thanks for the tip on keeping them alive.

I've seen individual coolers used but we just use a Home Depot bucket. Really any ridge type of container should work.
And I should clarify we don't use ice either. I think the individuals with small coolers just use it for the lid. Aren't the antennas a hassle with the mesh bags?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom