Keys Drive and Dive thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icculus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So after a VERY successful dive trip to Cozumel with my wife, we have decided to do a drive and dive to the keys, leaving from Texas. We won't start diving till we get to the keys.
i know here is a sticky with Dive Shops and Resorts.
Any thoughts on must do dives, quality yet reasonably priced places to stay. Plan on Key Largo all the way down to Key West. Go 5-6 days of diving.
thanks for any thoughts. My wife is very money minded so cheaper the better.

We drive from Louisiana quite often.
Here is a website reference to the dive operator we use in Key Largo.
Regardless of who you book with, the web site contains a lot of valuable info on accommodations, dive sites, etc. If you want to pm us we will be happy to share any info.
Scuba Diving Florida Keys | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, FL

Avoid Rainbow Reef and the rest of the cattle boats (unless you like being crammed in with 30+ divers on one boat- then dealing with them all getting off, diving together, and trying to get on again.

Find one of the smaller operators; my favorite is Quiescence Diving Services, World Class Diving in Key Largo, FL

I like Quiescence also. They run 6 paks and go to sites that are not visited by others. My wife and I had a reservation and the boat ran with just us. On the second dive, we stopped at an unmarked spot that was a tiny patch reef 60' long and 30' wide. As we descended, it looked just like a small pile of rubble. I thought "what have we gotten into?" But once we got close, it was teeming with life. In an hour, we were only able to do part of it. We kept finding things to gawk at.

I cannot not tell you what must dive spots are. Some people like the big, deep wrecks. If you like that stuff, Key Largo has great wreck dives. I like shallow reef dive and there are plenty of those.

You might think of going by Jupiter Florida. You can dive the Juno high ledge at 85' and almost certainly see a number of Goliath groupers and probably some sharks. You can also hit the Blue Heron Bridge for some of the best macro diving in the world.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

The Florida Keys is the dive capitol of the world (or so the Welcome sign at the entrance says...lol).
Key Largo, is an eat, sleep, dive town. Marathon is a fishing and some diving town. Key West has some diving and alot of touristy activities.

There are more dive ops than gas stations here (60 in Monroe County) so there is something for everyone. Many operators participate here on Scubaboard so feel free to contact them. There are small 6 pack boats if you have a small party, there are medium sized boats, and there are big boats (usually roomy and very stable for those that could get seasick). There are shops that cater to hunters or rebreathers or tech divers. A few include a free diveguide (usually an intern), a few have their boats parked right outside a hotel, one op caters to non-English speaking Germans, French, & Spanish speakers, a couple that only sell gear. There are several career development centers.

As for Key Largo dive sites, do not miss: Molasses Reef (30+ different sites), Snapper Ledge, French Reef, North North Dry Rocks, Horseshoe Reef, and wrecks: Speigel Grove, Duane, and Benwood. In Tavernier/Islamorada, the Eagle & Alligator Reef (It'll soon be time for the Nassau Grouper aggregation there). In the middle Keys: Thunderbolt. In the lower Keys: Adolphus Bush and Looe Key. In Key West, the Vandenberg.

It all depends on what YOUR expectations & abilities are. I recommend you do a search as this is a very common topic and you will find many often praised ops, contact those ops to see if they match your expectations. I have friends at many ops and we all work hard so that you have a fun safe dive vacation and come back again.

I also second PatW's recommendation of the Blue Heron Bridge- awesome shallow dive (and it's free). You can post in the Blue Heron Bridge thread to meet up with locals who will give you a tour (it's important to know the tides there).

Please let me know if I can be of assistance, maybe even meet-up for a :cheers:

:wavey:

Last edited:
... We won't start diving till we get to the keys....
Some very good camping/cabins around Gainesville which will put you about 8hrs to Key largo. Good place to stop for the night as well as get in a fresh water dive to rinse your gear on the way back. Ginnie Springs has both camping and diving as well as Blue Grotto and Devils Den. All with onsite fill & rental stores. Not too far off the highway either.

I like Quiescence also. They run 6 paks and go to sites that are not visited by others. My wife and I had a reservation and the boat ran with just us. On the second dive, we stopped at an unmarked spot that was a tiny patch reef 60' long and 30' wide. As we descended, it looked just like a small pile of rubble. I thought "what have we gotten into?" But once we got close, it was teeming with life. In an hour, we were only able to do part of it. We kept finding things to gawk at.
Sounds like Brody's Reef. Awesome place; one of my favorites in the Keys. ONLY QDS will take you there; as the other ops don't have the coordinates.

Forgot to ask; when are you planning to go, Icculus?

A number of us like Rainbow Reef Dive Center, which puts free guides in the water. Not a bad thing at all. And when I was with them last September, there were 2 guides, divers in 2 different guided groups, and the groups in question were fairly small. It wasn't some crowd of 30 storming the reef together.

Richard.

For my first trip to the Keys last November I choose Seamonkey's Scuba Diving Islamorada / Tavernier Florida Keys - Voted Best 6 Pack Dive

My wife was a newly certified OW diver and this was her first time in "warm" water...I chose Sea Monkeys because the put a guide in the water with you at no extra charge and this was helpful for my wife. Their boat was excellent, the Captain, Jim is great and knowledgeable and the owner/guide, Colleen, she was fantastic and catered to my wife's desires for sea life. Sea Monkeys Water Sports - Islamorada - Reviews of Sea Monkeys Water Sports - TripAdvisor

Sea Monkey's is in the Hampton Inn's property but they also have a deal worked out at a quaint model next door called Breezy Palm Motel...very reasonable rates and nice property layout with a great view of the ocean. Family friendly Resort Oceanside - Breezypalms.com
Breezy Palms Resort (Islamorada, FL) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom