Mini-Season is Far More Dangerous than Shark Feeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug Kahle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I rest my case, again:

Man dies off Pompano Beach while diving for lobsters | www.palmbeachpost.com

Florida's FWC does not care about "public safety." If it did, mini-season would have been outlawed many years ago.

How many deaths during the annual 2-day Mini-Season in the past 15 years?

How many deaths due to shark feeding in the past 15 years in the Bahamas and Florida (and shark-feeding takes place 365 days per year)?

The dive operators that take part in this dangerous event should be ashamed of themselves; they do it only to make $$ and they know is it incredibly dangerous. Why are they not trying to end this event due to its horrible history of deaths and accidents?

^^^^^This.

After looking at your previous posts I find this thread completely ridiculous. It is obvious that you have a pro shark diving stance. That alone is just fine. I don't have all the facts of this case. But I'd be willing to bet that he was not bit to death by the lobster. Diving itself is inherently dangerous no matter what your purpose for diving is. I personally don't have an anti-shark diving bone in my body. In fact I think I might rather like it. If your stance is truly anti-lobster instead of pro shark then there are many other arguments that you could have used to make your argument more convincing.

first....condolences to family and friends.......second, accidents happen with or without mini season.

Last edited:
You can't prove with science that mini season changes the behavior of the lobsters.

When you reach for the lobster and the lobster moves back further into its hole, you've just changed the lobster's behavior. When diver after diver tries to catch the lobster and the lobster continues to move back into the hole after each attempt, the lobster may now be conditioned to fear divers; the lobster's behavior has now been changed again.

Yes, but during mini season the folks who dive once a year pull out grandpops dive gear a jump over board. All in the hopes of scoring lobster. It is a silly tourism attraction.

When you reach for the lobster and the lobster moves back further into its hole, you've just changed the lobster's behavior. When diver after diver tries to catch the lobster and the lobster continues to move back into the hole after each attempt, the lobster may now be conditioned to fear divers; the lobster's behavior has now been changed again.
Did you actually read this stupidity before posting it? Or this thread for that matter?

So why would this "mini" season be more dangerous than the full season?

Or are you advocating that lobster hunting be banned regardless?

Well, I've never done Florida's mini-season, but here in SoCal the opening night of lobster season unfortunately involves diver deaths with some frequency. People who haven't dived in some time jump in the water and make foolish mistakes. I do know for a fact that more people have died on opening night in SoCal than have been killed by sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom