Dive boat with facility for a paraplegic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill C

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for a boat on the east coat of FL that can accommodate a diver paralyzed from waist down. The diver is experienced and has been diving on the west coast and did not like the viz ( Clearwater St. Pete area) and would like to dive in the Atlantic.
Anyone that knows of a boat facility that has experience with this type of diver please let me know. They are planning on a trip to Florida the first of the year.

Thanks for the help,

Bill

Bill,

Take a look at Rainbow Reef in Key Largo. Also look at DiveHeart online. I believe DiveHeart used Rainbow Reef last month with several disabled divers.

Can't speak for Florida but if your friend ever wants to dive North Carolina, Under Pressure with Capt JT is the perfect boat for any disabled diver.

He has one of the only boats in the USA with a diver lift aka elevator on the rear of the boat and it stops you level with the deck. We spoke about this very thing last time I was down and how perfect his boat would be.

Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site - Diving Hatteras NC and Virginia Beach VA

In the Keys check with Capt. Gary at Conch Republic also (Tavernier) He works with SUDS.

SUDS Supporters | SUDS Diving | Soldiers Undertaking Disabled Scuba

For really good visibility try Grand Cayman or Bonaire. Divetech has HSA certified instructors on staff and the HSA (I believe) runs a regular trip to the Divi Flamingo on Bonaire - makes sense since it's "flatter" than some of the north resorts that are on ironshore cliffs so have a lot of stairs.

Last edited:
A second vote for Bluwave Adventures....They have a hydraulic platform that lowers into the water. I was on their boat last weekend with a diver who has special needs and she loved it. She has been on almost every boat in Key Largo and she said this was the most enjoyable one she had ever been on...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom