October in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkEsq

Cthulhu Hunter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I live overseas but will be in ATL for a few days in early October, so was thinking I might hop down to FL for a few days of diving beforehand (probably fly in to Miami and drive to Key Largo). A couple of questions:

First, what are the odds of weather scuttling my plans that time of year, and how long beforehand would one generally know?

Second - do most hotels and dive ops require non-refundable deposits before hand, or am I pretty safe on that front? I got my AOW there about a year and a half ago, and was thinking of doing either Deep or Wreck specialty while I'm there, so I'll be trying to reserve that and full gear (as opposed to just a boat seat and air).

And, third, what's the best way to get trip insurance to cover other sunk costs? I've got DAN medical insurance, but I know that doesn't cover weather related stuff.

IN GENERAL, that's a great time to dive Key Largo. The kids are back in school and things are not as crowded with vacationers. The water will be warm and inviting :D

As you are aware, it IS hurricane season during that time, and it's really the active part of the season. But you will have PLENTY of advance notice if there is a storm approaching. The guidance models and tracking abilities have become uncannily accurate in recent years.

We dive with Rainbow Reef Dive Center - Scuba Diving Florida Keys | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, FL - they have never charged us if we had to cancel. I'm not sure what the policy is with other dive ops. It's probably best to call or e-mail and get all that nailed down before your trip.

Most hotels will take your reservation with a credit card # and you can cancel up to 24 hours before arrival. Again, it's best to check with the particular hotel and confirm their cancellation policies.

Regarding trip insurance, I always use insuremytrip.com so I have the ability to compare many different policies and find just the right one.

Have a great time :D

Agree with CajinDiva as it is a good time to dive the keys. However, being the "off season" it may pose some drawbacks. I have been there in late September/Early Oct and experienced cancelled dives due to lack of participants for the charter. I was a single diver though. Maybe ask for their policies and have back up plans. I missed two days diving due to cancelled charters while in the Islamorada area. Key Largo, having more ops may not be as bad. Have a good time, the water is warm then.

What CajunDiva said...... October is usually a great time to dive in Florida: water is still warm and sea conditions are usually pretty calm (assuming no hurricanes).

DAN or Divers Alert Network has excellent trip insurance coverage too. I've used it for 3 trips that required large up front payments (2 to the Dry Tortugas and 1 to Bahamas). Ususally it's pretty easy to cancel things in the Keys 48 months prior so you might not need insurance.

Lot's of good ops in the Keys..... I've used and enjoy Conch Republic Divers the most but also have had good experiences with Rainbow Reef (provides guides if you want), Quiescence (six pack) and Silent World (very flexible on diving style/profile if you have proper certifications and equipment for the dive profile).

Last edited:
We will be in Key Largo last week of October. Diving with Rainbow Reef. Holler if you are down that week.

Few years back I spent a week down in Key Largo in October and had a blast. Best time to visit for sure if there's no hurricanes threatening your plans. Much later in the season and the winds start kicking up with passing cold fronts, and earlier it's HOT, HOT, HOT. Stick with one of the larger dive ops and lack of people on the boat shouldn't be a problem!

Well we had a blast on our trip. Rescue diver the first three days, even did some of our exercises with a young female Manatee in Jewel Creek! How cool is that? She was so curious and was right in our face quite a bit. The rest of the weeks was spent diving four tanks a day with Rainbow Reef, meeting fun people and shooting lots of pictures and video. We even had an underwater pumpkin carving contest on the night dive, that was a hoot!

Big thanks to Nikki at Rainbow Reef, she is an awesome Rescue Diver Instructor at Rainbow Reef Dive Center.

[video=youtube_share;Y-NbZ-SUlio]http://youtu.be/Y-NbZ-SUlio?list=UUE9QAeUaPgLyDlo5iNxi1OA[/video]

looks like great conditions on your night dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom