Found on Yuotube--diving the Duane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know, I'm sure that some of our more experienced divers will give us the technical analysis, but going into overheads, single 80's (I'm guessing here), seems like they get plenty of separation between team members, so if he got into trouble, they might not be aware of it.

I've no idea how open the Duane is, but it seems like that video is almost a textbook example of everything I've been told NOT to do.

I wouldn't find myself in that position, not without a lot more training. (and with the proper training I might learn NOT to put myself in that position).

Going to watch this thread, I may learn a bit.

Steve

When this video first surfaced a year ago, there was some discussion of this shark actually being a "Short Fin a Mako", as opposed to a GWS.
I have no idea really.
It looks like a BFS to me.
By the way,......
I was told about 3 years ago by a VERY experienced "Tech" instructor to stay clear of penetrations to the Duane.
His reasoning was that the old tin can, is beginning to break up.
I then mentioned in passing to a then very senior NCO "Coastie" friend of what the instructor said about entering the ship, and he said that above the main deck was probably OK.
either way, I personally would not think of diving that wreck at that depth with anything less than a 100cf tank.
And really, I own several 130's and larger tanks, and would use a 130cf or greater on it.
Chug
Thinks it's better to be looking at it, as opposed to lookin' for it, when it comes to Nitrox.

The deck of the Duane has a few easy swim-throughs. It looks like they enter one at the 4:27 minute mark but deviate from the easy swim-through once they make the left turn a few seconds later. I'd not go there! I think they are on the main deck, and like Synonymous indicates, the divers were probably in the 100'-105' range.

Hopefully the guy without gloves didn't get any fire coral stings: he kept grabbing the wreck with his bare hands.

That was one short dive! I've gotten some decent bottom time on Duane dives when I have an appropriate nitrox mix and was relaxed. They probably blew through a ton of gas when they saw the big shark.

Diving the Duane, like any DEEP wreck requires tons of specialized equipment. Divers need to take this dive seriously and be properly equipped!

[video=youtube_share;pLex8_yFXK4]http://youtu.be/pLex8_yFXK4[/video]

I dove the Duane recently off the M/V Spree. Looking at my logbook, max depths were 100 and 105 ft with dive times of 36 and 33 minutes. I was using a HP 95 steel tank with 32% Nitrox. I surfaced with approx 1000 psi both times and the current was RIPPING. We did a couple of simple and above main deck swim thru. We did not see any sharks, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember seeing that deck walking video and all I thought about was aren't fins and the ability to swim up a safety issue in the event you have to get to the surface or to a buddy in a hurry, I know he's sporting doubles and all but why play around.

Mike

What stunned me the most about this clip was that after having a perfect dive experience - a non-aggressive great white, turning up in excellent viz in the opening moments of the dive - this crew proceeds to go la-la-la down a bunch of rusty, barren corridors. I like wreck diving, but I like it because of the fish and other critters that accumulate on them. I don't dive them to play in a sunken funhouse. I was practically screaming at my computer screen - "Turn around and watch the shark, you ****ing muppets!"

As far as air supply, I've done all my Duane dives on AL 80s and generally had enough time. Then again, I've never been below the main deck level - again, nothing to see as far as I'm concerned.

To me it's a textbook example of how not to dive a wreck: no lines deployed, only one diver carried a single light (or at least there were no signs of the other divers using lights, if they were carrying any), buddy separations, carrying insufficient air for the depth and type of environment, etc. Not sure whether to add to the list the risk of suffering cuts/abrasions inside the wreck that could lead to bleeding in the vicinity of a shark...

Makes a good instructional video, albeit for the wrong reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom