10-day Keys Diving Itinerary Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver4242

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are doing a 10-day trip through the Florida Keys in an RV (no flying), going from Key Largo to Key West in early December. I'm finishing up my Divemaster cert and she's newly OW. Any suggested itineraries, sites, operators for a trip of that duration? She wants beach time too, so probably one boat trip a day for her, most days two for me, probably a night dive, and some snorkeling. Thanks for any help.

Everyone may have diff opinions but I'll get u started since no one has replied after 55 looks. Someone else started similar thread recently. My Lady and I do a 10 day trip in Sept. I can't get her to dive yet but here's a few thoughts - hopefully some others will chip in!

(EDIT - FEELS Like I just wrote an essay.)

Key Largo - Spiegel and Duane deep wrecks for you but not her. She'll prob like Christ of the Abyss Statue, 25-30 foot dive or snorkel. I recently dove with rainbow reef, but have dove some others there. I'd go rainbow on a relaxing vaca (vs I'm going diving myself the next 4 days), but I just go with who schedules for what I'm looking for. Best overall spot is molasses reef. It's the biggest system in the Keys I believe, many many dive balls to do. Hole in the wall is a good spot to request there.

Islamorada - my fav dive area of the keys. IDC or Islamorada Dive Ctr. is the op of choice for me(at mm 82.4 (old Holiday Isle now Postcard inn Party area). It's vacation, even if you are finishing up DM course it may be nice to let someone else do some of the work. They're a full service boat with prof staff, nice captains and 2 really nice and clean boats and put a guide in the water - again nice to not have to worry about an instabuddy to babysit. Conch wall, victory, the drop, and The Eagle Wreck are nice spots to request. They also do Crocker, Davis, and Davey Crocker a nice shallower system that is pretty easy for Nav. Lots of large schools of fish she may enjoy. I've only been lucky enough to get to Alligator deep once and the area around the Al Lighthouse. Very nice dives! Key Dives from Bud and Mary's Marina may do these more often (mm 78?).

Marathon - You can do the Thunderbolt and she can take the car to Sombrero Beach - the best "beach" I've found in the keys. I live on a real beach so the man made areas in the keys suck to me. Sombrero is better than Anne's or Bahia - Honda State park IMO.

Big Pine/ Ramrod -LOOE KEY - a must for you and her together- This was what got me into diving. I snorkeled there prob 5 years ago and got addicted to snorkeling, that turned into diving. Looe key reef resort has changed a good bit but its still a nice bboat cruise thru the canal and thru a shallow channel out to a beautiful reef with everything. Last check there is a resident goliath that comes up and hangs out under dive boats. This is your chance to get her into AOW and deep diving and off the beach! Bahia Honda also runs a pontoon style oat there on a 45 min relaxing ride.

Key West - For you Vandy. Period. I prefer Southpointe Divers (daily A.M. Double dip then a 1:00 reef double.) Nice big boat. The reefs around KW are more beaten up IMO then other spots due to rec divers and tourist. I' m hoping to check out Joes tug - a wreck that eludes me everytime. Southermost Beach at the opposite side of Duval is an interesting beach area to say the least. Also a nice beach bar and café with sometimes " Keys Style Service".

If you're trip allows look at Palm Beach/Jupiter diving. I just found it and it ain't so bad either!

Be sure to include time for decompression with umbrella drinks! The keys has amazing diving, but you would be remiss to not enjoy some of the local flavor.

There are some good shallow wrecks off of Key Largo too, such as the Benwood, if you want to do some wrecks together. I also like French Reef, especially Sand Bottom Cave. We've only been to the Marathon area once and it took several days to get onto Sombrero Reef, but it was very nice. I can recommend Island Ventures and Rainbow Reef in Key Largo and Lost Reef Adventures in Key West. We were less enthusiastic about the operator in Marathon, but two thumbs up for Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel, where we stayed. So many great places to eat in the Keys, especially Key West.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2014 at 08:52 PM ----------

oops, you said you'll be in an RV. Disregard the Glunz recommendation (but it is nice).

Following up what FishBoy05 told you, when I stayed in Key Largo a week in September 2013, it was not 'beachy.' My wife was disappointed about that. I was later told Marathon would've been the place to go for that.

Staying at the Courtyard Marriott with Rainbow Reef Diver Center at the end of the parking lot, the area looked like a suburb with water channels instead of asphalt roads dividing up the blocks, and boats 'driving' on it instead of cars. Standing at the water's edge, it looked like about a 3 feet drop to hit the water if you stepped off.

So, when you get to Key Largo, do not expect to see the kind of traditional stereotype of the vacationer's beach (e.g.: Myrtle Beach, Panama City Beach, Ft. Walton Beach) with a broad expanse of white sand, and a very shallow sandy slope into the water.

Following up the other point, I saw 2 guys without AOW cert.s not allowed to do a deep wreck dive, so be mindful of that. On the other hand, the Keys reef diving can be wonderful for new OW divers since what I saw out of Key Largo was fairly shallow reef diving, hard bottom, and no swimming over an abyss or 'blue water diving.'

Richard.

We stayed at point of view rv resort in key largo. Nice place with nice views and sunsets on the west side if key largo. Centrally located and walking distance to both Mrs Macs for key lime pie.

Beware though that the sites aren't totally level so bring some wood to raise up the front a bit.

We dove pennecamp park with horizon divers. It was nice.

if you head to key west you should really check out geiger key resort. Mile marker 10. Really coool place. Only about 20 sites. Right on the water way. Nice little restaurant that has live music sometimes and you can stumble back to the rv.

Be sure to check out the history of diving museum in islamorada.

Someone else started similar thread recently.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the great comments! That will help a lot. I was searching for the other thread you mentioned, but couldn't find it. Do you remember the poster or subject?

I can't say much about the sites, except make sure you hit molasses reef.

However, the beaches in the keys are terrible. They are small, manmade, and usually overcrowded. If you are coming by RV try to hit beaches on the way down before you reach the keys if that is what you are after.

As you've already heard, beaches are hard to find in the Keys given the Keys are essentially coral islands. Key West has a decent beach on the south or ocean side of the key (can't recall the beach's name) and Fort Taylor has a decent beach, but it is a little rocky; bring aqua-socks. Bahia Honda has a decent beach. None of these are anything remotely like Miami Beach or Sarasota. If your wife really wants decent beaches, you can stop off in Jupiter or elsewhere in Palm Bech County, Broward County or Dade County for a day or two before or after hitting the Keys. The diving in this part of Florida is also good (in some ways better if you want to see sharks, goliath grouper and other big critters) and beaches superior.

All the deep wrecks in the keys are worth diving: I've been on the Spiegle Grove, Duane, Eagle and Vandenberg numerous times and always found something new or interesting on each dive. Aside from the attraction of the Vandenberg, I like diving in Key Largo and Islamorada better than the rest of the Keys.

Reefs I like include Hen's & Chickens (most unique reef I've seen in the Keys), French, Davis, Snapper, Molasses, Conch Wall (one of the few deep reefs). Actually aside from Spanky's, all the shallow reefs are pretty nice. Oh yeah, just to say you've done it, dive Christ of the Abyss.

I dive with Conch Republic most of the time. I've also dove and enjoyed Rainbow reef (provides guides), Quiecence (six pack) and Silent World (will let you dive to your certification level on deep dives).

In the Marathon area I've used Dive Duck Key and in Key West I've used Captain's Key.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom