Miami Diving, Summer of 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanEyes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
As many of you may not be aware of the recent work being performed to deepen the main shipping channel leading into the Port Of Miami, know that for much of this year the Army Corps of Engineers has been directing dredging operations at Government Cut in order to allow the passage of the large Panamex tankers which will soon be transiting through the refurbished Panama Canal. Of course the grand mucky-mucks claimed that the environmental impact of this dredging would be negligible, but this has of course not been the case. The current off this section of the Florida coast most often runs northward, and untold tons of debris has been carried north as well. Corals and sponges have been covered with sand, silt, and other particulate. As you might well expect, days where you might hope to dive in clear water have been clouded with the effluvia that the dredging operation has released.

As a result, I’ve found myself shooting much more macro than would normally be the case in summer, when I can usually count on experiencing several of the years’ “Top Ten” days, which feature clear, blue water, and 100’ visibility.

On the other hand, just so you don’t think that I’m prone to complaining and thinking of the glass as half empty all the time, the rapidly expanding population of invasive Lionfish, despite being a threat to many local species, are at least beautiful. Therefore, I usually make certain to photograph them before culling and often eating them.
Kulick-14-01-14-076.jpg
Ocean Surgeonfish, Acanthurus bahianus, being cleaned by a Spanish Hogfish, Bodianus rufus
Kulick-14-02-24-139.jpg
Zebra Lionfish, Pterois volitans and French Grunts, Haemulon flavolineatum on the Crane Wreck
Kulick-14-05-03-031.jpg
Juvenile Queen Angelfish, Holacanthus ciliaris
Kulick-14-05-26-076.jpg
Baitfish on the Almirante Wreck
Kulick-14-06-27-121.jpg
Highhat, Equetus acuminatus
Kulick-14-08-06-168.jpg
White Speckled Hermit, Paguristes punticeps
Kulick-14-08-12-046.jpg
Andro Wreck on a day when poor visibility and green water prompted me to think in black and white.

Last edited:
Nice pictures :D No. 5 looks like a juvenile high hat as opposed to a juvenile drum...

Last edited:
Thanks CajunDiva. I've edited the post to reflect your observation. Time for new prescription reading glasses for me.

Nice pics. Thanks for posting.
Poor Hollywood beach is covered in algae... Wonder how much is from the dredging...

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

My firm isn't involved in the Port of Miami dredging project (that's a long and partially confidential story), but I had the opportunity to read FDEP's dive inspection report. To say what's happened is a complete and utter flustercluck is an understatement and somebody had better figure out how to fix that mess fast. Unfortunately whenever they do that there's probably going to be a whole load of finger-pointing between the USACE, the dredger, and the mitigation contractor about who screwed the pooch and who foots the bill for any additional mitigation or cleanup measures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom