Small Boat in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ_Zoner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm going to be in Key West next month for a day. Is there a dive op that will take two people out to the Vandenberg for two dives on it?

thanks,

Craig

I'm going to be in Key West next month for a day. Is there a dive op that will take two people out to the Vandenberg for two dives on it?

thanks,

Craig
Most will run with 2, but Finz dive center will surely take care of you.

May I ask,
Why are you looking for a "Small Boat" for the Vandy?

Chug
Likes Captains Corner when day tripping Key Weird.

I guess I was thinking that a smaller boat op might be more willing to take only two divers and do two dives at the same site.

Why do you ask? do you have an option?

cb

May I ask,
Why are you looking for a "Small Boat" for the Vandy?

Chug
Likes Captains Corner when day tripping Key Weird.

It is my understanding that there are several "Ops" that will do "Double Dips" on the Vandenberg.
I would caution you though on something about in diving Key Weird.
Do some research.
There were, and there still are, some terrible operators down there.
Stories of control phreaks directing you to only stay down on that wreck for 20 minutes are not uncommon, yes, even if you are on Nitrox, and barely break 80' on your second dive.
Ask questions, do some research, and ask for private messages here from folks that have been screwed over down there by recurring offenders.
The locals generally will not post publicly on their despised operators hereabouts.

Chug
Thinks Frank should run Wednesday PM double dip trips to the Vandy every week.

That is kinda why I'm asking. We want to plan and dive our own dive.

thanks for your input.

And thank Frank, (I dove the Spree a few years ago. We did the Wilkes Barre).

Craig

Not a small boat so it doesn't meet your criteria in the first post, but Captain's Corner will meet the criteria in your last post and let you dive your own profile and to the level of your certification. We had everything from OW folks from a cruise ship who had hired a guide to tech divers on doubles doing one long deco dive. They let me solo (am certified and carry redudant gear). I don't know their minimum diver count: that big boat can't be cheap to operate.

Stories of control phreaks directing you to only stay down on that wreck for 20 minutes are not uncommon, yes, even if you are on Nitrox, and barely break 80' on your second dive.

South Point divers does this. Their boat is nice and the staff are friendly, but they have some crazy rules, and they make you call out your tensing gas pressure for the roll call (I assume they record it for insurance purposes).

Also, I'll add another good review for captains corner. They don't micro manage everyone on board. Dwayne the chain smoker is a great guide too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom