1st time S. Grove dive - recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthFla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey folks, me and my buddy are finally going to make a run down in my boat to the Grove in the coming weeks. We're going to shoot for a good weather pattern and take a day off work to dive during a weekday and *hopefully* avoid some of the crowds and charter boats. We are non-tech (Cert. Police Diver w/0 Viz and overhead environ training), we'll dive EAN, and would enjoy any suitable swim-thrus.

Is it safe to assume that upon arriving you can predict the surface current from the behavior of the mooring buoys, and if so what's a general "no-go" indicator? I can deploy a granny line, but tend to favor calling the dive in ripping currents...

For first-timers, can you recommend which numbered buoy(s) to start with (if we have our pick)? We'll plan on 2 dives if conditions allow...

If conditions don't allow the dive, do you have any recommendations for other dives in the area (no further South tho, gas prices *ugh*)? I was looking at the Carysfort trench area...

Anyway, thanks for any advice you're willing to share!

john

No, yes, maybe, I doubt it...
04.gif

I would say that the mooring buoy is a good indicator of the current expected, but it can be different underwater so understand that what you encounter on the surface may totally be different then the dive. You may want to listen to the dive boat chatter on the radio to see what they are reporting, if anything. I believe it is VHF 18.

If when you attach your boat to the mooring buoy, the buoy goes underwater that is a great indicator that it is too strong (my last dive on it)... Too strong is a individual thing though. There is a lot of ship to hide from the current so it can be done even there is a strong current but it can be tiring. Also depending if you have a person on the boat or not may be a better judge. Nothing would suck worse than missing your up line and drifting away from your unattended boat. Personally, I would recommend your first dive there be on a Charter. It is a lot easier and if you are running down for the day, a lot cheaper on gas when you add the cost of towing your boat or running it down. I have dove Horizon Divers for this artificial reef several times. They regularly (Sundays?) do a double dip on it.

Buoy 6 seems to be the best. A couple of the buoys have Ys, one going to the sand, one going to the wreck. Take a look at this dive plan: Spiegel Grove Shipwreck Dive Site Plan

For other recommendations, maybe the Benwood wreck, French reef, Molasses reef, the Elbow and yes Carysfort, I have dove all of them and like them. It is also possible for less (or more) current to be on the Duane or Bibb with the Duane being better at shielding divers from the current.

Time I dove the Speigel surface current was ripping. There was essentially zero current at 40 ft. We could let go of the line and drift down to the wreck.

If you are taking your own boat bring a third person who knows how to run your boat and use your radio. Diving that wreck without any top side help seems foolish to me.

Since you've never dove this wreck, I would recommend going with an experience charter operator until you have more knowledge of this dive. Currents on the surface can be different from those on the wreck and can & will change drastically during a dive. Listen to the captain & crew briefings, ask questions, learn, then consider bringing your boat down.
Ocean Divers runs an all day trip to the Speigel Grove where you can get in three single tank dives, or whatever your tec training & gear have prepared you for as long as you show your dive plan to the Capt. If you are thinking of hiring a guide, Capt Jim Wyatt is awesome - he served 2 years on the SG and will show all the cool places and explain what they were in their day, including his state room, galley, head (ok TMI), etc. The next one is Sept 16th.

Once you've got some experience on the wreck, then go dive, and be safe.

Surface currents can be mild to ripping. Even in mild to moderate it is an exhausting haul from the back of the boat on the granny line down the mooring line. I've witnessed way to many OOAs on this wreck because so much gas was consumed going down, then of course it is a deep dive. Plan your gas accordingly.
If the mooring ball is under the surface, go else where.

Mooring ball 6, mid ship seems to be the most popular with the local dive boats. Remember you'll want to end up up current of your boat, so in case there is a problem you can drift back on the surface. I strongly strongly recommend leaving someone on the boat who can drive the boat and pick you up if there is trouble.

There is a story a few years back of a new boat with 2 couples and a dog tying up to a mooring ball, husbands jumped off and dove. During the dive, the boat took on water and sank, the wives and dog were rescued by the CG. They watched the boat sinking as they were coming up. And so did the divers on the charter boats.

Alternative sites on the way north: There are so many (most already listed above) that you could spend a week down here and not see them all. Please respect the FKNMS no-take, no-anchoring SPAs.

The mooring line to the wreck has barnacles; gloves wouldn't be a bad idea. I managed it without them, but I suspect it'd be fairly easy to cut your hand.

Richard.

The mooring line to the wreck has barnacles; gloves wouldn't be a bad idea. I managed it without them, but I suspect it'd be fairly easy to cut your hand.

Richard.
Good point. In addition to the razor clams, I've pulled quite a few fishing hooks out of the down lines as well. Be observant of where you place your hands.

Is that what they were, razor clams? I just assumed they were barnacles, I guess; mainly tried to keep from grabbing any.

Richard.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom