Dive Charters WPB area for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

i live in Melbourne , FL, which is about 2 plus hours north of West Palm Beach from what I remember. It's been a few years, at least 3-4 years since I dove in this area.

I'm just returning back to the sport after past few years not diving

All though my certs are much more advanced then where I am now, not diving in the past few years, I'd like to find charters not to far south, that only do 60' or less reef dives etc.

Being out of the water for so long, I'd like to take the hobby slowly again, and get used to being back in the water.

Any suggestions ? I really hate getting on a dive boat, they plan is to do a 60' drift dive when I book it during the week, to get down their, to find out their doing a advanced class or something, and I end up diving 90' reefs or something

Also I was thinking of taking all my new gear to the springs, just to get acquainted with everything, and make sure I'm weighted properly etc before doing a drift dive, then adding the amount of weight needed to dive in Salt water

I'm thinking of only bringing my open water cert for the time being

Any suggestions ? Also what's the cost of the trips these days?

i have my own tanks and gear

My favorites are:

Capt Sl8r - Jupiter
Sea Pup - WPB

Sl8r loves the Juno Ledge area, so it's deeper than 60. Typically in the 70-90. Sea Pup likes going north to Juno Ledge, so same depths. With that said, in the evening dives on Sea Pup, they do training dives and you might find them in shallower water. Or ask Dustin of Sea Pup to take you to Breakers which is more around the depths you want, but you'd have to coordinate that with him ahead of time.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2014 at 03:01 PM ----------

Also Sea Pup is $50. Sl8r will cost a little more.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2014 at 03:02 PM ----------

You could also join the Vero Beach Scuba Club for $10 and get a discount code for diving Sl8r. It pays itself off in one dive.

Thanks, did plenty of dives on Breakers, which is perfect since its been so long being in the water. Anything more I'll wait till I feel comfortable again in the water

Ocean Quest Scuba (Sandy's Sunday) is another charter operating out of New Port Cove Marina in Riviera Beach (they were at the Riviera Beach Marina but moved last week due to the ongoing Charlie-Foxtrot construction there). I'd recommend Sandy and Vicki because they do a lot of classes and in my experience seem to hit the inshore spots like Breakers more often than the bigger boats like Narcosis or Kyalami. Narcosis is another favorite of mine and I think you'd be alright with them, but they tend to go for deeper water and it's a max of 20-24 on the boat versus 12 on Sandy's Sunday.

Hi,

i live in Melbourne , FL, which is about 2 plus hours north of West Palm Beach from what I remember. It's been a few years, at least 3-4 years since I dove in this area.

I'm just returning back to the sport after past few years not diving

All though my certs are much more advanced then where I am now, not diving in the past few years, I'd like to find charters not to far south, that only do 60' or less reef dives etc.

Being out of the water for so long, I'd like to take the hobby slowly again, and get used to being back in the water.

Any suggestions ? I really hate getting on a dive boat, they plan is to do a 60' drift dive when I book it during the week, to get down their, to find out their doing a advanced class or something, and I end up diving 90' reefs or something

Also I was thinking of taking all my new gear to the springs, just to get acquainted with everything, and make sure I'm weighted properly etc before doing a drift dive, then adding the amount of weight needed to dive in Salt water

I'm thinking of only bringing my open water cert for the time being

Any suggestions ? Also what's the cost of the trips these days?

i have my own tanks and gear
I would recommend Splashdown Divers in Boynton.....tons of great 40 to 60 foot reef....
And in WPB , Narcosis and JASA....

While Narcosis does quite a bit of North to Jupiter stuff that will be a lot deeper than you want, they also do alot of extreme south as far as Pauls and Horseshoe Reefs, which are awesome reefs few boats frequent. And JASA does lots of Breakers, and has phenomenal 4 Star Service type support for you by the crew.

I appreciate the feedback, I will defiantly look them up. I've dove on Narcosis before, I do remember it's hit or miss with them where they go.

The last time I dove was 2+ years ago! and before that was 2-3 years. I called the dive for the 2nd time since I started diving on a 90' dive. I started to feel more and more uncomfortable , being out of the water so long. So before I killed myself or my dive buddy, I called the dive, and he came up with me, even though i was telling him To stay down. I'd rather build up my confidence again and get used to diving like I'm a new diver then getting myself or someone else into a situation that could harm someone

I just bough thousands of dollars of all new gear also, new computer, everything, so I will have that stress to deal with as well for the first few dives

Im im really looking forward to taking it slow, and just enjoying the sport this time, instead of pushing the limits like where I left off

I haven't dove with JASA for a few years but I think they would be a good choice for you out of WPB. At that time, they would take the dive site request of the first divers to book on a trip. They always honored it as long dive conditions permitted.

Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures |

Narcosis is our preferred dive boat but they do tend to go deeper and rarely know the dive site until heading out of the marina.

With any boat, let them know your concerns when you book and again when you board. Both JASA and Narcosis will put a DM in the water with each dive group. Narcosis will have more lobster hunters and spearos. The spearos will be dropped separate from the others. The lobster hunters may go with either group. I'm sure either boat could also arrange a private guide and if you want a refresher I recommend David Finch with Narcosis.

Scuba Diving West Palm Beach Florida with Narcosis Dive Charters

And don't forget BHB as an option for getting your feet wet again.

Thanks! I'm talking with someone now regards to a refresher :)

My thought was , if I book a boat only as a OW diver, then wouldn't they have restrictions to diving in no more then 60' ?

Another vote for Sandy at Ocean Quest.

I second the recommendation for Ocean Quest. Sandy and Vicky are awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2014 at 08:23 PM ----------

Thanks! I'm talking with someone now regards to a refresher :)

My thought was , if I book a boat only as a OW diver, then wouldn't they have restrictions to diving in no more then 60' ?

I think you are responsible for diving within your limits, and the dive op is not going to limit other divers on the charter to 60 ft. Sandy at Ocean a Quest is pretty accommodating though, so long as other arrangements haven't been made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom