Key Largo in late November dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoogaD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning a trip down to the Keys in late November this year and looking for options on places to stay. Also would like to know what the weather is (or could be) at this time of the year. We got two newly certified dives, myself and non diving wife.
Any suggestions on lodging and dive companies greatly welcomed!!

Thanks in advance SB'ers:D

Butch

NoogaD,

For my 50th Birthday I visited the Keys last November and loved it. My wife was newly certified too so we choose a Dive Operator that provided a dive guide as part of the dives. On Scubaboard I read a few good recommendations about Sea Monkeys; a small operation that caters to new divers. Seamonkey's Scuba Diving Islamorada / Tavernier Florida Keys - Voted Best 6 Pack Dive The dive center is ran by a husband/wife team and a long time Key's captain. We had a great time and the recommendations were spot on. I now recommend them too.

Sea Monkey recommend that we stay next door at the Breezy Palm Motel. Family friendly Resort Oceanside - Breezypalms.com We got a good rate when we mentioned that we were diving next door with Sea Monkey Divers. It is an older place but very well maintained. Great little beach view and the rooms are set up for divers...ground floor. Our room had a kitchenette and a couple of nights we BBQ.

The weather was iffy...we had planned four days of diving and got two in. However, there was enough to do and see in the Keys that on bad sea days we enjoyed ourselves. We drove down to Key West and also took in the Dive Museum...must see. We tried many recommended restaurants up and down the Keys and our favorite was the Lion Fish Sandwich at Days Inn; just down the street from the motel.

Have a great trip...

~Oldbear~

Thanks Oldbear! I'll check it out.

NoogaD

You going to be there midweek or weekend? My experience is that some ops may not have enough divers to go out every day especially midweek. So I usually stay at the marina at mile post 100 (there are 3 places to stay). There are several dive ops going out (Ocean Divers, Sea Dwellers, Horizon, Bluewater, to name the ones I have used) so you can always find a boat that is going if weather is permitting.

Also if weather is bad, and you really want to get some dive experience in you can spend a few hours playing in Jules in Key Largo. A pristine reef it is not and viz is usually around 20 ft more or less. But there is an underwater habitat and since it connects to the ocean there is varied marine life - lobsters, parrot fish, snappers, etc. Even saw a sargassum fish there once in the mangroves. Can also use as a tune up for newly certified.

Beats a quarry dive but then I am easily amused.

Thanks for the info Steve_C. We are going to be there Tuesday through Sunday and the places you listed are on our list as well:D. Nice to have the feedback and Jules may be an option for kicks.

Have a good one,

NoogaD

November WX is very dynamic down here in south Florida and the Keyes.

We start getting cold fronts with windy conditions which bring rough seas but we can also have very nice cooler (75 degree with even lower dew point) weather too without the wind.

The good news is staying inside the reef edge can sometimes be manageable (getting on and off the boat) even if windy, provided it is not howling in from offshore.

If you like fishing then this is something to consider too. In fact..just do it.

I second the ocean divers recommendation previously offered. And regardless of the weather you're still entering paradise and the clock turns back when you cross that bridge into Key Largo.

In any event, best wishes for calm seas with good vis. Safe travels and safe diving.

I forgot to mention....seasickness can spoil fun on the water for those that are susceptible to the motion of the ocean. One of my son in laws reports the "less drowsy" Dramamine works well. And we've had him in some 10' to 12 ft seas without him getting sick.

Hotels- courtyard marriott and Holiday inn right down the street from Ocean Divers. Even better the hotels are right across from divers direct ...bring $ and enjoy the toys. There is a Marriott resort on the gulf side too. Probably a bit more $. If on a tight budget talk to the dive boat OPs...they usually have some small local places to stay on the cheap.

Dining- thumbs up on these:

best breakfast - Doc's (good lunch sandwiches too)

second best breakfast with good view ..the Galley..right above Ocean Divers. Guess the name of one of the more interesting, but somehow nice servers...Flipper!

Dinner: Hobos (doesn't sound good but great). The easy going owner will likely come up to table to introduce himself and ask about your meal.

Pilot House, great hogfish. Good view. May even see me, wife and friends there testing the cold beer after fishing or diving. LOL.

Snappers...get the whole yellow tail snapper while you enjoy the view of the ocean..if you order at the bar

DiGiorgios...excellent Italian and great service.

best outdoor bar for sunset ...Snooks. On the gulf side. Go to the south bar and you'll probably have Derek as the bar tender ....he loves trivia and will challenge the best....but the sunset is worth the whole trip if the WX is right! Food here is good too. May see me, wife and friends here too! If we are not there ...we are wishing we're were there! Bring camera or iPhone/smartphone for sunset

Last edited:
Looking at the website, it seems it's $150 to dive jules? Is that right?! Seems crazy.

There are two kinds of Jules dives. One you get to go inside the habitat, have a meal, etc., or stay overnight. Those are expensive and I have not done them.

To dive the lagoon and explore the outside of the habitat is $35 a day. You can look inside. Extra cost for tanks and weights if you need them but much less than $150. Day plus a couple tanks plus free weights is no more than an inshore boat dive.

I will add that I am a fan of large stable boats with areas to get out of the sun or wind. The Ocean Divers boats are big with lots of sheltered space. They will go out with as few as 2 divers. Only time I have ever gotten sick on over 60 Keys dives was once on a six pack.

As you may know, with OD or HD or sea dwellers unless you pay for a DM the dives are self guided so it is easy to head off in a direction others are not if there is a group or class.

If you are looking for something a little nicer than the typical Keys type hotel, I like Ocean Pointe: Key Largo Hotels & Resorts | Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo | Tavernier Florida Hotels It's a little south of many of the dive shops in Key Largo but only a 5-7 mile drive to most. However, Conch Republic Divers is very close by.

I've not stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Key Largo, but many SB'ers have and it is located right next to Rainbow Reef Dive Center, so you won't have to drive at all.

When I go to the upper Keys with dive buddies, we usually stay in dumps or camp. If you're looking for cheap and clean but not luxury, I stayed at the Hungry Pelican with a buddy in July. We only slept there since we dove all day and usually were out somewhat late eating dinner/having a beer or two and were beat by the time we got back to the hotel. However, I doubt I'll ever take my wife there. The Pelican - Vacation Cottages, Key Largo, Florida - 99340 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037 - (877) 451-3576

The last thought is Amy Slate's Amoray dive resort. I've not stayed there or used the dive boats, but they provide both

In Key West, my wife and I stayed at the Coconut Mallory a few years ago and had a very nice time. Like many condo projects, some of the units are nicer than others and we got a recently re-decorated unit that was lovely. Coconut Mallory Marina & Resort, Key West - Studio, 1 & 2 bedroom Condos for Rental Note that diving in the Key West is not as good as Key Largo, but there are a lot of other topside activitites if the weather is bad..... anywhere from bars/restaurants to shops to museums to historic sites.

It might be too late to make a reservation since they fill up fast, but the cabins in Bahia Honda State Park are decent. Not luxury, but a good deal. My wife and I stayed there a few weeks ago and woke up to see a sea turtle swimming in the lagoon every morning. One of the view decent sand beaches in the Keys is located in the park plus they have a snorkel (not scuba) boat right in the park. You can also rent kayaks. That particular trip was not a diving vacation, but we did head down to Key West one day and I dove the Vandenberg with Captain's Corner.

Have fun on your trip

FlNativeGuy

Thanks this what we needed to know. As for seeing ya'll I'll PM and maybe our schedules will match. Love to put a face with another SB'er and the cold one is for sure!!!

NoogaD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom