Diving Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete k

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys ,going to Orlando for a family vacation ,and I was thinking of having a days diving perhaps down to Jupiter beach area ,I will be bringing my son who is 14 and bsac ocean diver / padi ow ,does anyone have any tips or recommendations ? Thanks in advance

Hi guys ,going to Orlando for a family vacation ,and I was thinking of having a days diving perhaps down to Jupiter beach area ,I will be bringing my son who is 14 and bsac ocean diver / padi ow ,does anyone have any tips or recommendations ? Thanks in advance

Only dived the other coast when visiting Orlando. When going for diving I tend to dive the Cayes.

Be very careful with the qualification equivalences. Does your son have both BSAC Ocean Diver and PADI OW?

If yes, not a problem. If no and its only BSAC OD read the small print in your dive insurance on not following the recommendations of the certifying agency. A BSAC OD must observe:
• to a maximum depth of 20m.
• with another BSAC Ocean Diver or with a BSAC Sports Diver, within the restrictions of the conditions already encountered during training.
• with a Dive Leader or higher grade, to expand experience beyond the conditions encountered during training, under the supervision of a Dive Manager.
• not requiring mandatory decompression stops.
• under the on-site supervision of a Dive Manager with respect to site selection, conditions and dive plan.

I'll be interested in your report as I've thought of diving this area, maybe in 2015.

Kind regards

Edward

Only dived the other coast when visiting Orlando. When going for diving I tend to dive the Cayes.

Be very careful with the qualification equivalences. Does your son have both BSAC Ocean Diver and PADI OW?

If yes, not a problem. If no and its only BSAC OD read the small print in your dive insurance on not following the recommendations of the certifying agency. A BSAC OD must observe:
• to a maximum depth of 20m.
• with another BSAC Ocean Diver or with a BSAC Sports Diver, within the restrictions of the conditions already encountered during training.
• with a Dive Leader or higher grade, to expand experience beyond the conditions encountered during training, under the supervision of a Dive Manager.
• not requiring mandatory decompression stops.
• under the on-site supervision of a Dive Manager with respect to site selection, conditions and dive plan.

I'll be interested in your report as I've thought of diving this area, maybe in 2015.

Kind regards

Edward
Thanks Edward ,he's bsac ocean diver only ,I'm a dive leader ,I've dived further down the coast at Fort Lauderdale which is a bit too far for this trip ,and I can recommend South Florida diving ,although it was a number of years ago

Do you have a max depth you don't want exceed? Generally Jupiter is a little deeper than West Palm. West Palm is just a few exits further with lots of 45-60 foot reefs. Jupiter is probably 80-95 or so.

Pete k;
West Palm Beach is the depth you are looking for with your son.
Jupiter is borderline on depth if you observe this depth restriction.
There is lots and lots of great diving at 20m or less just 10 minutes south of the Jupiter exits off of the Florida Turnpike and I-95.
Look into boats out of Riviera Beach.

Chug
Memorized that there are 3.2808' to a M,
a long time ago.

Last edited:
Some of the Jupiter reefs can be dove pure OW if you stay on top of the reef at 60-70 feet. I don't think it is as pretty as cruising a little deeper on the side of the ledge at 80 or 90 feet. I dive with Jupiter Dive Center frequently and think highly of the operation and the crew.

Chugwump has a good idea. WPB is only 13-15 miles further south. Some of the reefs can be as deep as Jupiter but many are at 60 feet in the sand. There are several operators I've used that would be good with newer or younger divers...... Scuba Club (puts multiple DMs in the water but only does 1 tank dives on most days), Sandy's Sunday (works with kids often/certifies a lot young divers) Jim Abernathy Scuba Adventures (goes to shallow reefs a lot and has a good crew).

You can also call Force-E and indicate you want 60 foot reefs at the deepest and they'll find a boat for you. They act as a broker for many boats in the area and you can rent gear there too. You can also dive Blue Heron Bridge at high tide from the beach (see the BHB Trolls thread for info) and rent gear at Force-E

Have fun!

PS: BTW: the Epcot dive in Disney is pretty fun to do (at least once) and your 14 year old would probably love it. Not cheap though.....

Last edited:
If you want to see large animals try Jupiter. Usually you will spot reef sharks/Goliath/loggerhead turtles. As stated previously if you stay on the top of the ledge its 18 meters. Bottom of the ledge 28 meters. Either diving jupiter/west palm try Stuart scuba. Great service and non crowded. Besides you could dive with me since I dive with them every weekend [emoji2]. In wreck mg111 dozens of Goliath groupers right now. Have a safe trip.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2014 at 09:22 PM ----------

Also as stated by sport if you head to west palm make sure you head to blue heron bridge. If possible setup a night dive there. Safe and you will see amazing critters.

I dive Jupiter frequently, and dove it this summer with my 13 yr old son. We stayed on top of the reef and he maxed out at 70 ft. However, there is great diving out of Riviera Beach with reefs 45-60 ft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom