Advice for Diving around Anna Maria Island (Oct 1st to 6th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello! My wife an I land in the area on Oct 1st and we'd like to do some diving. We're mostly vacation divers and enjoy shorediving as we like having our own schedule.

We're currently scheduled to dive with Blue Water Explorers out of Bradenton. The shop says it's an hour away, dock time at 7:30am, leave at 8am. Kind of sucks, as we'll be adjusting from Pacific TZ (so it'll feel like 4:40am). He mentioned it was 45 to 60 min of boat to get to the site, where the boat would anchor and we'd dive in 45'. From the description, it sounds like the artificial reefs of Sarasota, but I didn't confirm.

Looking for advice on getting some shore diving in (we're willing to drive) and/or possibly a different venue (different dive-shop in a different area).

I understand that the weather makes diving the West side of Florida a little tough, with visibility getting bad later in the day. But it would be nice to shore dive and move the time later in the day.

I can't help you with your diving questions on that side of the coast, but I can tell you that the Anna Maria Oyster Bar is a pretty good place to eat if you enjoy seafood. It's an old Florida type, family atmosphere inside and usually pretty busy.

Its located on the west side of I-75 at the Ellenton exit.

I hope you enjoy your time in our wonderful state and safe diving.

Wake up whenever.
Drive three hours or so east.
Be in Jupiter by noon.
Get on a Dive Boat.
Actually enjoy good viz, tons of life, and warm water.
Come back in, catch dinner locally.
And drive back to the muddy water coast.
You will like it far better over here......
For diving.
Chug
Likes Siesta Key.

Boulder drop,

Chugwump is correct. I was almost going to suggest an east coast drive and should have.

If you really don't want to get on a dive boat, consider a 3.5 hour drive to Pompano Beach or Lauderdale by the sea and the 1st reef is a short swim. If diving on the weekend I suggest you stay very close to the dive flag and watch/listen for boats.

Chugwump is correct. I was almost going to suggest an east coast drive and should have.

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it, T-Minus 36h and all. :)

I guess the reason for me asking for alternatives, is that most things that I read say the visibility (Gulf Side around Anna Maria) is 5' to 20'... with 12' probably the best case (even with a 1 hour boat ride, offshore to the Sarasota artificial reefs). I'm also a little worried about the weather forecast, as it's not really showing stable weather/air until the Oct 5th. So it seems like the visibility won't be that great.

Considering the hurry-up and wait aspect of dive boats, the local boat in Bradenton would take a bit of time: 7:30am (dock time) until about 9am (boat at spot, anchored and ready)... so 1.5 hours one-way. I guess that's how I'd justify driving to another location. 6 hours to/from Jupiter is a bit of a haul.

Is there much shore diving at Jupiter? How long are boat rides?

Is there anything on the Gulf Side, within 1.5h driving might have better visibility? ... perhaps another boat operator or shore diving?

Boulderdrop,

All my Jupiter experience is surfing, not diving, so hopefully someone else here can help you. But I really don't think that there is much to see along the lines of shore diving in Jupiter but I could be wrong.

Offshore however on the dive boats is a different story. Very good stuff.

Come on down further south! Our visibility today was 50 to 60 feet. The people are friendly and the water is 84 degrees!

The food is great too!

Nope unfortunately the gulf has crappy visibility especially during the summer, winter time has the best visibility here. The water is very shallow over here compared to the east coast as well, even going a few miles out your still in 30ish feet of water. For something different you can dive in the Florida Aquarium, I haven't done it but it's on the bucket list I don't what kind of schedule they run though you'd have to call or check online. There's also a big rock pile off Coquina Beach in Anna Maria Island in 10-12 feet of water just in case you get land locked cause of crappy weather. Not worth diving but good for snorkeling.

You can see the rock piles here https://www.google.com/maps/@27.4579761,-82.6971528,709m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

With all the storms we have had I would suggest against the Rocks or most of the diving near Anna Maria. I have been more times than I can count and when storms are in you will be lucky to get 2'-4' vis. The 3rd Pier is a little better and the Regina is not worth seeing. I would say go to Pepper Park or Jupiter as well. Last time I went to Venice I had maybe 4' vis but it was also right after a storm. Gulf diving sucks around this time of the year.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom