Blue Heron Bridge - How to dive it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all!

So, this may be a silly thread - but I can't help but wonder about the process of diving the blue heron bridge.

My questions are around process and suiting up.

1. We rent the tanks and weights and then head to park.
2. Do we get ready at the car and leave everything in the car to prevent theft? Is there an area where people suit up near the entrance into the water? If so, where does one leave the bags/etc. Is it a long walk from the car to the east side entrance? My wife is small and probably doesn't want to walk a long distance with the tank on her back.

Anyways - looking forward to how people do it! Thanks!

I always see people getting dressed at their vehicle. I would probably do the same.

It's not that far of a walk honestly, you should be ok.

I was in your shoes just earlier this year. I had no clue. My suggestion is to rent your tanks at Force-E just up the street from BHB. They can brief you on everything you need to know. They were really helpful, showing my wife and me on a map of the site (Phil Foster Park) exactly where we needed to park, gear up, etc., and then how to proceed on the dive.

Thanks!!

Turns out BHB high tide is like 4-5am this saturday, so we were thinking of doing lauderdale by the sea instead as a good first beach dive.

Thoughts?

We've never done a beach dive, only boat.

Done BHB a few times, nice place especially for ultra-new divers to practice. Be sure to time the tide carefully, dive during slack high tide only (see times Blue Heron Bridge High Tide Tables Q4 2014). We usually have a non-diver with us at a picnic table but have also changed at the car and gone straight in. Don't leave your stuff unattended. If you go in the morning you can usually get a spot 10 feet away from entry point. It's a small parking lot so even if you don't get once of the choice spots it's a 50 foot walk anyway. Enjoy!

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2014 at 04:43 PM ----------

I missed that you already are looking at the tides. LBTS is a nice dive, go off Datura to the buoys and there is plenty to see.

For BHB info, see this..... Blue Heron Bridge

Depending on where you can get a parking spot, the west side walk from the closest parking spot is a little closer to the east side. Either way its not far. I always dress at my car though many people use the picnic tables. Have your wallet or purse stashed in your car before you arrive: like any beaches in FL, thieves watch folks getting out of their car and if they see you hiding a wallet or purse, you might find yourself with a broken window and missing wallet.

For info on LBTS, see this...... Florida's Best Shore Dive - Go Dive Florida

BHB is an easier shore dive, but compared to a lot of shore dives in the world, LBTS is pretty easy too. Its just a longer surface swim (10-25 minutes depending on your swimming style/ability)

Hi all!

So, this may be a silly thread - but I can't help but wonder about the process of diving the blue heron bridge.

My questions are around process and suiting up.

"1. We rent the tanks and weights and then head to park."

Don't forget need a dive flag/float too...if you don't have one you can rent one where you are getting your tank/weights

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom