Florida Keys Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadowdaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, all!

I am going to be in Ft Lauderdale area Nov 8 to 15 and planning to visit Florida Keys for a 2-3 days. Traveling with my wife (who unfortunately doesn't dive) and my 4 year old daughter (who is not allowed to dive just yet).

I would appreciate any advice on the best places to dive and snorkel along my trip to Key West. As well as any good places to stay hotels/motels/etc that's not super expensive.

Thanks all and happy diving!
Dimi

Thank you, these are very good! I will use them for recommendations.

I can't tolerate boat dives anymore - if the seas are rough I get extremely sea sick and the meds don't help.
I didn't realize that the best diving is in Key Largo, good to know.

I can't tolerate boat dives anymore - if the seas are rough I get extremely sea sick and the meds don't help..

Just so you know, all of the diving in the Keys is off boats.

If you're looking for shore diving, you can find some of the best in the SE USA very near Ft Lauderdale at Lauderdale by the Sea. If you are interested in shore diving, check out Gold Coast Scuba's Meetup.com dive group. The shop is a good one and the dive group is very active.

Just so you know, all of the diving in the Keys is off boats.

If you're looking for shore diving, you can find some of the best in the SE USA very near Ft Lauderdale at Lauderdale by the Sea. If you are interested in shore diving, check out Gold Coast Scuba's Meetup.com dive group. The shop is a good one and the dive group is very active.

Sportxlh is right on target.

For shore dives ....Stay north near Pompano Beach, Lauderdale by the sea, or Ft Lauderdale. However, finding a buddy could be a big challenge too, so the meetup.com suggestion I suppose, (never tried it) is good suggestion.

Keep in mind that if the weather gets nasty, conditions from the shore will not be pretty either. And November WX can sometimes be very windy & rough in SE FL.

Suggestion: Have a back up plan that incudes mommy and the 4 year old, so you all have fun. Suggestion: Consider a tram ride (lots of alligators if you cycle with the 4 year old) Shark valley in the everglades: Shark Valley Visitor Center - Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Here's another suggestion...drive to Everglades City and buy Stone Crabs right off the boats (after they have been cooked). Go to Everglades National park and eat them, this has been an annual ritual for my wife and I for the last 20 years or so. This is where we get them: Grimm Stone Crab- Fresh Florida Stone Crab Shipped,

Hope this helps. If any questions, keep asking...your with a good group here.

If you elect to hit the Keyes and use a dive boat, first consult with your physician to see if you can take a seasick Med while scuba diving. That may mitigate or solve your boat dive sea sick issues and your dive buddy concerns. Again, November WX can be rough, calm or something in between.

The good news is you are going to be in a beautiful sub-tropical paradise with great people, good food and a lot of good things to see, even if you are limited to on land stuff.

If you head south towards the Keyes, consider visiting the Coral Castle Coral Castle Museum (about an hour out of your life) and have lunch at Casavana Cuban Cuisine | A new family restaurant serving homestyle Cuban favorites and much more. (great Cuban food...and the Cuban people are wonderful) which is somewhat nearby.

IMO, particularly if time is short, you don't need to go much further than Key Largo to experience the enjoyable "slow down" time warp in the Keyes.

I get very seasick, too, and there are times when Bonine doesn't work for me. My doctor prescribed the patch that's worn behind the ear. It's saved me while diving in Florida!!!!

Thank you, these are very good! I will use them for recommendations.

I can't tolerate boat dives anymore - if the seas are rough I get extremely sea sick and the meds don't help.
I didn't realize that the best diving is in Key Largo, good to know.

Blue Heron Bridge!

I am the absolute POSTER CHILD for seasickness. In case it will help anyone, I have found one thing that really works for me. It's called Stugeron (the generic form is Cinnarazine), and it can be purchased online from Canadian pharmacies. In order to be effective, the minimum dosage is 75 mg. I usually purchase the 25 mg. tablets and take three at least an hour before the first boat trip of the day. Then if I'm going back out for an afternoon boat trip, I will take an additional pill as we depart and another if necessary between dives.

This has been like a miracle cure for me. We were out on a day dive trip to Cayos Cochinos off of Roatan a couple of years ago. One of the other divers with us was a pharmacist from Italy. She was puking her guts out on the boat during the trip over to the islands. She even missed the first dive. I gave her some Stugeron to take while I was making the first dive, and she felt well enough after our surface interval to make the second dive! She was very appreciative. She was aware of Stugeron, but said they prescribe it for Vertigo in Italy - she didn't know it was effective for seasickness.

If you suffer as badly as I do from motion sickness, it's definitely worth a try :D

Diving Florida waters usually seems like lake compared to the swell we get in NY. No wonder everyone migrates down eventually!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe, but even when the seas are calm, there's a surge going on below. That's the killer for me...that rocking back and forth motion :shakehead:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom