AOW course expensive in Palm Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've checked out all of the local organizations I can find online, including the one I dive with frequently, and they're all around the $400 mark! Honestly that seems pretty expensive for 5 dives and some instruction. I'm really not that interested in doing another cert right now but I'm finding that there's a lot of charters I would like to go out on that go down 70-80'. I have all my own equipment minus tanks and weights. I also have a compass and dive knife that I saw PADI recommends for the course. So I'm not asking for a full set of gear and some cheap dives here!

Not really that expensive if it includes boat fees. Boat fees alone can be $200.+
Here in NY we charge $200 . That is for the instructor fees only. Does not include entry fee to quarry,which is $35 per day for the 2 days you will be there, rentals can be another $130,.
now figure in gas for the 100 mile drive,hotel,food, and the cost for advance here in NY quickly adds up.

I don't think that's terribly out of line. I paid 485 for AOW plus Nitrox last year in Key largo and that price was reasonably consistent among the few shops I checked. I think it was a special and nitrox was only and extra 100.00 on top of AOW

Plus or minus $50 it seems to be the going rate for the basic warm water AOW in S. FL and the Keys. If it's close to home, the hassle and gas make it worth the difference. There's a large (and knowledgeable) contingent on the board that will say "you get what you pay for" especially for AOW as the experience can vary greatly depending on the instructor. For dive travel (at least in FL and the Caribbean), the bottomline IMO, is AOW is the price of admittance. As you've already discovered, there are a lot dives you can't do via charters without it (at least hassle free without having to drag your log book around and make your case and who wants to deal with that on vacation). To a lesser degree recreational nitrox is the same ticket. I've seen several all day 3/4 dive charters that require the nitrox cert in order to get on the boat.

I don't know about the compass and dive knife, I did my AOW in rental gear which come to think of it might have been included. That might make an additional price difference. Good luck and good diving. :)

I've checked out all of the local organizations I can find online, including the one I dive with frequently, and they're all around the $400 mark! Honestly that seems pretty expensive for 5 dives and some instruction. I'm really not that interested in doing another cert right now but I'm finding that there's a lot of charters I would like to go out on that go down 70-80'. I have all my own equipment minus tanks and weights. I also have a compass and dive knife that I saw PADI recommends for the course. So I'm not asking for a full set of gear and some cheap dives here!

What would you consider a reasonable price?
Can you break down the cost of the price you think is reasonable for at least 5 dives, possible pool time, instruction, materials and the fees for certification?

If you convince me that that's a reasonable price I'll be glad to teach you AOW for that price. Deal?

Slightly off target but have the charters told you - you can not dive due to your OW Cert?
In NJ it depends on the charter - most want AOW to cover themselves - I thought FL was relatively lenient with that recommendation of AOW.

I thought FL was relatively lenient with that recommendation of AOW.

That has not been the case in my experience. I haven't done any diving in the northeast, but I found the Caribbean to maybe be a bit more lenient than S. FL depending upon the situation. In FL you can bring your logbook, make your case, and maybe do a "non AOW" dive first. Once the shop gets to know you, maybe. Otherwise, especially if it's a busy shop or a large scale shop, you're better off having the AOW rather than the hassle in the big scheme of things, IMHO and personal experience. YMMV.

Slightly off target but have the charters told you - you can not dive due to your OW Cert?

In my opinion diving southeast florida & keys it depends on the boat and also if the boat publically advertises a specific dive site to require AOW. It started about ~10 years ago when dive boat insurance companies started checking shop's paperwork and found OW's manifested for sites like Spegiel Grove, Vandy, etc. If the shop advertised the divesite, lets the OW dive it without verifying they were AOW, then even a dive release would not protect an insurance claim because the shop didn't do it's due diligence. It's almost exactly like selling alcohol to a minor, the duty is on the seller to verify. The insurance company audits are what drives the shop to verify the AOW and if the shop can't or won't(on a consistent basis) then the insurance company will drop the boat's coverage. And yes there are many boats that will let you dive to 130' without a card, just like stores that will sell beer to minors, but most won't.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2014 at 12:19 PM ----------

.... and they're all around the $400 mark!

Call Scuba Works in Jupiter and ask for Sandy/Jay & tell them I sent you (ph 561-575-3483). They have the AOW course for $299. All the dives are in West Palm Beach for it.

In my opinion diving southeast florida & keys it depends on the boat and also if the boat publically advertises a specific dive site to require AOW.

So if the Diving Op does not advertize AOW - OW should be fine? I am asking because my son and I are headed to FL in April. All the sites that we looked at did not mention AOW...
Thanks

So if the Diving Op does not advertize AOW - OW should be fine? I am asking because my son and I are headed to FL in April. All the sites that we looked at did not mention AOW...
Thanks
Call the dive ops and ask them. You don't have to identify yourself, just ask about the certification requirements. My experience in the Keys is that many ops will take anyone with any c-card diving on the deep wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom