Christmas Diving in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ceparker14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How's it going guys.

Visiting family in Kissimmee this year, dates are something like Dec. 16 - 23. I'm making the journey down from Michigan with my dad and I'd like to see us make at least one or two dives together while we're down there. In all reality, the family is Grandma and Grandpa, Dad and I are just going down to do whatever for a week and enjoy some warmer weather. So I'm trying to come up with some places for us to dive that aren't too crazy in price nor difficulty. I've only been certified since this summer and only have about 5 dives under my belt. He has been certified for some 25 years now but it's been a few years since he dove. Both of us are in good physical condition with a can-do attitude, he was the biggest influence on me getting the cert so we could go together.

So my question is -
Where are some relatively cheap places to dive within a couple hours of Kissimmee? I would love to do some ocean diving but I don't think that'll happen without me convincing him to drive to the keys for a night or two. I'd be okay with doing the rivers and springs that seem to be pretty popular. Rainbow and the crystal seem like ones on everyone's list of places to hit. Are those something we should be going through a LDS for or can we just show up with our own equipment (rental/owned) and hop in the water from shore?

If you guys have any input, I'd love to hear. We've got some equipment but rental isn't out of the question.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jupiter!!!!
2:00 from Kissimmee.
Boynton!!
2:30 from Kissimmee
Pompano/Boca
3:00
MAX from Kissimmee.
For the Keys (Key Largo), tack on about 2 hours more from Pompano.
The ocean down here will be in the very low 70's about then.

Chug
Thinks fresh water is for drinking, fishing, and washing clothes.

.... I'd be okay with doing the rivers and springs that seem to be pretty popular......

Blue Springs is shut down for scuba diving due to the manatee season. Alexander Springs is your next closest at 90 minutes travel time.

Alexander Spring, 49525 County Road 445, Altoona, FL 32702

But with the ocean off your list and the springs a hassle by distance, gear rental, etc, maybe the best choice might be Disney's EPCOT. It's a really easy dive and alot of fun to share with someone who hasn't been in the water in a long time. They will make sure you are 100% safe and provide all of your equipment. You can get a video and pictures of the memory with your Dad too.

After your dives you can meet all the other family members and enjoy the park for the rest of the evening and they can watch you dive thru the windows too.

It's called EPCOT Divequest

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/epcot/epcot-divequest/

Many of us have done it, and it would be perfect you guys.

Easiest way to do Rainbow river would be with an outfitter like Pros.

I've looked into the EPCOT setup before and I also read the review recently posted on it - It's a possibility and I know the tank is so big that you don't even feel like you're in a tank but really I'd like to shoot for an open water experience if possible (although I know beggers can't be choosers). The ocean isn't exactly marked off the list, but from what I was reading it seemed like everything was too low of viz and just poor conditions for diving this time of year. I did look at Chugs picks there, jupiter seems pretty cool and close. I looked into the others as well, trying to build a little list of options to present while I'm home for the holiday this week. I will pull up the Alexander springs as well here in a minute.

Steve I'll check out Pros - just running a search for Pros dive shop Florida (or something like that) I'd assume?

One other thing I found -
Lobster Scuba-Diving Trip - Liquid Addiction Dive & Surf | Groupon
I didn't know it was lobster season and I don't know if this deal lasts until christmas but it sounded like a good time. Any feedback this deal? Again, just one more option but looking to get more info and tips.

Thanks for the responses guys - looking into each and every option you put in front of me.

Three things:

1. Don't go around central Florida (especially here in Citrus County, or Sumter, which you will pass through if you come to Citrus) and ask for "the crystal," because you'll end up with some toothless, train-wrecked weirdos trying to sell you meth. lol

2. Bird's Underwater or American Pro Dive both do tours of the waters in/around the Crystal River area, including the Rainbow River.

3. Another option, if you're up for about a 2.5 hour drive from Kissimmee, is Ginnie Springs Outdoors. It's kind of busy with college kids (depending on the weather) during the weekends, but it's a beautiful place to dive if you've never been there. You can dive in both spring runs, the basin, cavern (OW divers can bring a light in this area), or explore the Devil's Ear/Eye cave entrances and Little Devil fissure farther back on the property. If you haven't been diving in a while/aren't 100% comfortable with it yet, I'd stay out of the cavern. Even though it's very large inside, and the entrance is clearly visible, there's no reason to put yourself in an overhead environment if you aren't comfortable with it. OW divers can't take lights into the Devil's Ear/Eye or Little Devil areas per site management, and obviously you can't go into the cave systems.

GSO will have any rental gear you need, and it's a pretty cool place. I'm getting kind of tired of it now because I've been there so many times lately, but especially if you've never been, it's a sight to see!

Three things:

1. Don't go around central Florida (especially here in Citrus County, or Sumter, which you will pass through if you come to Citrus) and ask for "the crystal," because you'll end up with some toothless, train-wrecked weirdos trying to sell you meth. lol

2. Bird's Underwater or American Pro Dive both do tours of the waters in/around the Crystal River area, including the Rainbow River.

3. Another option, if you're up for about a 2.5 hour drive from Kissimmee, is Ginnie Springs Outdoors. It's kind of busy with college kids (depending on the weather) during the weekends, but it's a beautiful place to dive if you've never been there. You can dive in both spring runs, the basin, cavern (OW divers can bring a light in this area), or explore the Devil's Ear/Eye cave entrances and Little Devil fissure farther back on the property. If you haven't been diving in a while/aren't 100% comfortable with it yet, I'd stay out of the cavern. Even though it's very large inside, and the entrance is clearly visible, there's no reason to put yourself in an overhead environment if you aren't comfortable with it. OW divers can't take lights into the Devil's Ear/Eye or Little Devil areas per site management, and obviously you can't go into the cave systems.

GSO will have any rental gear you need, and it's a pretty cool place. I'm getting kind of tired of it now because I've been there so many times lately, but especially if you've never been, it's a sight to see!

1. Copy that, nothing new there ha!

2. I will check them out, thank you for the reference!

3. Sounds like a great time. I'm new to it but I'm comfortable with the hobby. Grew up on lakes up here and have always been a strong swimmer - Anxiety is not a problem for me underwater - I guess i'll just have to wait and see it in person. As for the college kids -- I mean I'm a 20 y/o in college, if I found a couple scuba girls down there hanging around on the weekend I wouldn't be upset :banana:

Thanks for the tips Six

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom