Gulf of Mexico vs. Atlantic

Atlantic or Gulf?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thedragon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've lived in Tallahassee most of my life but considering moving next Winter. Looking at other places further South in Florida. Diving plays a big roll in my decision. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to be closer to the Atlantic or the Gulf. Also open to hearing about some of the best cities for diving opportunities.

Thanks

I live in Ft. Myers. It's great for boating, but diving stinks. For us good viz is 10'. Seriously.

I spent more than a decade periodically diving in FL before buying a home in Hypoluxo 3 years ago. Three miles to Boynton Beach, 10 miles to W Palm, 15 miles to BHB, 30 miles to Jupiter, 30 miles to Ft Lauderdale, striking distance to Key Largo and Islamorada. I'm happy with my choice, perfect for me

I've dove up and down both sides of both coasts. Although the diving is very different with currents and viz, they both can be epic. Just my opinion but the Gulf has bigger and more fish for harvest, but the Atlantic has more bugs and better viz.

My home port is Jupiter, but I think it's a tie for which I like better.

Edit: We need a 3rd choice in the poll for a tie.

You want fish to Kill and fossils, NO QUESTION.....THE GULF!
You want to dive in warm "semi tropical" clear water with color, corals, sea fans, tropical fishees by the zillions, bugs everywhere, NO QUESTION....THE ATLANTIC!
You want to see lots of sharks real close in muddy water while you are killing their prey,
NO QUESTION....THE GULF!
You want to do drift dives and lots of wreck dives, NO QUESTION....THE ATLANTIC!
You want to be close to springs and caves, NO QUESTION....THE GULF!
You want a huge variety of dive boats for 60 miles from Miami to Jupiter that go out virtually every day, NO QUESTION....THE ATLANTIC!
You want cheaper real estate, NO QUESTION, ....THE GULF.
You want shore dives, NO QUESTION,....THE ATLANTIC.

Chug
Prefers the Atlantic, warm water, Lion Fish and drift dives in a cultural wasteland.

Last edited:
I've only made a couple of dives in the Gulf and those were epic dives on the wreck of the Baja California and an Air Force radio antenna base, but have 500 + from Jupiter down to the Keys. Anywhere from the Keys north to Jupiter is excellent year round diving. In Jupiter, where I dive the most, you'll find lots of tropicals, sea turtles (they nest in Jupiter), sharks, goliath grouper, lobster if you hunt, some spearfishing though the Gulf is supposed to be better for that, and boat rides are only 30 minutes or so to most sites on a charter boat. If you have your own boat with say twin 150's, the trips are even quicker. Almost every dive is a good one in Jupiter: the same can be said for most of my dives in the Keys except shallow dives on days where marine conditions cause surge: but that doesn't happen often.

I've never dove Panama City or anywhere else in the panhandle, but I hear its pretty good from divers that regularly dive there. During the summer, I'd think you could get in some decent diving not too far from where you're located right now.

Sorry except for a very few large specimens fish average far bigger and more plentiful in the Atlantic,just not S of I4 due to overpressure from overpopulation.N from Ponce to NC the fish are far in healthier status.Hence longer seasons for most species and well as bigger minimum size limits on the Atlantic.

Vis averages better on the Atlantic,we have more thermoclines Gulf has more Red Tide.

Big animals are more likely on the Atlantic,I have seen in one dive in 120:manta,eagle and stingray,cobia,amberjack and tons of bottom fish.I see sharks on half my dives including GWS 3 times UW.Seen Right whales from 20' away swim by my boat during SI.

Bugs isn't even close Atlantic

Charter availability Atlantic

Fossils is a toss up,slight edge to Gulf.I dive rivers and the ocean on the Atlantic for fossils and artifacts.

Sinkholes and springs offshore Gulf has far more

Shoredives S Florida

Divers being run over by powerboats S Florida

Runoff from agriculture and waste treatment far less in the Gulf.

I am 500 miles to KW,500 to Outer Banks,5 to a boat ramp here in Jax and 2-4 hours to the Gulf.Cost of living is inexpensive.Good jobs are available.We have 3 seasons in NE FL as opposed to 2 south of I4.Most diving is from private boats and starts at about 6 miles offshore to about 60.That is a lot of real estate to cover.

i dive the Atlantic...only dive the gulf once a year.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom