Best Dive Operators in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwesblues

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Planning a few days of diving in Key Largo with my older sons. Looking for recommendations of the best dive operators. Do all the operators go to basically the same locations? I am not interested in larger, cattle boat type operators. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks Eric

Hi Eric -

When we were searching for a dive op in the Keys close to 15 years ago, the internet was a great resource. At that time, I stumbled across this site:

Scuba Diving Florida Keys | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, FL

I was captivated by the sheer volume of information provided within the site. Want to know...where to stay?...where to eat?...what the water temperature is?...what dive sites are on the schedule?...what each dive site is like? (including pictures!!!)...and lots of other helpful information. I still frequent the website just to easily get a quick check of what the current weather conditions are in Key Largo :D

We assumed they must be a knowledgeable operation, and we were correct. Our first trip there was when they were just getting started. We've been diving with them since then and our loyalty only continues to grow. I highly recommend that you check them out, but even if you decide to dive elsewhere, you can get TONS of information about the Key Largo area on the website :wink:

Rainbow Reef Dive Center puts guides in the water for no added charge; some other op.s don't. Here's my trip report from diving with them Sept. 2013.

I don't think any one op. is the best for everybody. We've had a few 'my op. vs. your op.' Key Largo discussions in other threads, often comparing/contrasting Rainbow Reef & Quiescence. I suggest you start by exploring some of that.

You may find it deteriorates into a debate between those of us who like dive guides to free us up from bothering with navigation, vs. people who either find navigation easy enough that they don't appreciate the guide service much, or who resent the reliance many people have on guides. Different strokes, different folks.

Richard.

If you are looking for a 6-pack I would 2nd the recommendation for Quiesence. I also dive with Capt John on the HMS Minnow. Most operators hit the known popular spots but if you are 1st to book with these 2 ops you can request some less traveled spots

+1 for Conch Republic. Nice boat, pro crew. Aside from the usual stuff, I like their post-dive facilities. Nice changing rooms and hot showers. Admiral Brenda & Captain Gary are aces. If you give them a little notice and if you're in the area for a couple of days, they'll do their best to get you to the sites you want. Lots of good shops in the area. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.:D

If you are looking for somewhere to stay along with diving, The Marriott Bay Resort has a dive shop on site, with the boat leaving straight from their own dock. Call Pirate Island Divers and dive where you stay.

There really aren't any bad dive operators in the upper keys, each is unique and has certain benefits or caters to various divers tastes a bit differently, but none are truly bad.

I gather from your question that you are looking for a 6 pack, if that is the case, then Quiesence would be a good choice. If it is just you and your two sons on the boat, you can pretty much pick the dive site you'd like to see. Most other operators have schedules posted on their websites. There are some sites that are hit regularly by a lot of the dive boats and some that don't get hit as often.

I tend to dive with Conch Republic Divers the most regularly when I'm in the upper Keys. I like the staff and the their big boat which is a Newton: it is stable when conditions are bumpy. Conch is in Isalamorada, just a bit southwest of Key Largo, and visits some sites other operators don't hit very often.

As suggested by others, Rainbow Reef is nice if you are looking for a guide. Their young staff enrolled in the instructor program are a nice group of people. They also have bigger boats that are stable when marine conditions are bumpy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom