DIN Tank Rentals - Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tablets

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering about the availability for renting tanks with DIN setups in the Keys. Thinking about taking a trip down there in about 2 weeks.

you may or may not find some shops that have pro valves on them, a lot of shops are going in that direction for new tanks. Is certainly worth calling the shops and asking them. Netdoc will likely have a list of guys in Largo that will have them.

I know that Ocean Divers can accommodate DIN. They have pulled the plug and I have dove DIN a number of times with them. You might want to carry a wrench with you. Once it took a couple minutes to find their's. I use the DIN when I can but I also carry an adapter so that I can use a non-DIN tank if I need to. Especially important if you are diving with a one boat op. Over the years more than once (but not with OD) I have wound up on a different boat/operator than I had planned on (boat died, not enough for boat to go, only boat from that op was not going where I wanted).

We have DIN tanks at our shop.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

I know that Ocean Divers can accommodate DIN. They have pulled the plug and I have dove DIN a number of times with them. You might want to carry a wrench with you. Once it took a couple minutes to find their's. I use the DIN when I can but I also carry an adapter so that I can use a non-DIN tank if I need to. Especially important if you are diving with a one boat op. Over the years more than once (but not with OD) I have wound up on a different boat/operator than I had planned on (boat died, not enough for boat to go, only boat from that op was not going where I wanted).

I have seen at least two different size DIN plugs. The Genesis values have a larger hole than the Thermo Pro values and use a different size allen key.

+1 on carry a dIN to Yoke adaptor. I always bring the two different size allen keys and my DIN to Yoke adaptor. If they have one of the two convertible valves I have the allen key to pull the plug out but if they are Yoke only I can switch to Yoke regs with my DIN to Yoke adaptor.

There are at least three, probably four or more, different hex keys needed to fit all the stupid DIN inserts.....metric and imperial, so you need TWO sets of keys. Irritating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm moving from BC to side-mount and now I have to confuses my LDs with this. Why do I continue.

huh? All divers should have a full set of metric and imperial allen keys with them and an adjustable wrench, and at least one if not two yoke adapters on all dive outings. With those two tools you can fix most regulator issues, and the adapters allow use of yoke tanks. My solution to this is to just switch my regs to yoke when I am travelling if I know I will have yoke but may not be able to get DIN. Odd's are I'm not going in overhead, for sidemount the regs are protected by your shoulders anyway, and it is a lot less hassle than dealing with removing plugs. No need to be all high and mighty with din regulators, yes they're better, but we don't need to shove that down dive ops throats or be bitchy about them not having them *not that anyone in this thread was, just a peeve*.

No need to confuse your LDS, they probably aren't very useful anyway if you're concerned about that, be self sufficient to the point that all you need them for is their compressor or boat, or better yet find a buddy with both. If you have yoke first stages, use them, if you don't either get the kits to convert them which are about the cost of most adapters, or carry the adapters and be grateful in sidemount that you can just turn the tanks so first stages are down and not have to worry about it. It's not perfect, but it is what it is

All divers should have a full set of metric and imperial allen keys with them and an adjustable wrench, and at least one if not two yoke adapters on all dive outings.
LOL I'm guessing you never fly to a dive site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom