1 week to go for Key Largo diving - psyched and somewhat nervous (still a newbie LOL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

Once again, thank you to all for your great advice and patience for us newbies....as I do this more, I am naturally becoming more and more comfortable in various environments and surroundings. So with that said:

1. does anyone know what the current water temps are in Key Largo? Going diving with Rainbow Reef (max 60 feet), starting Tue Feb 24 to Thu Feb 26, 4 dives/day. I'm a solid 315, just dropped a good amount of weight on a weight loss program and am concerned about being comfortable in my 3ML suit. At my heaviest, I dived my last dives in Grand Cayman last April in 75-80 temps at max 105 ft depths in shorts and a t-shirt. Since I've lost this weight, I now feel cold like I used to when I was thinner. Just want to make sure I don't get caught off guard with a thin suit.

2. Sharks......lol I know a lot of you are rolling your eyes, but of course us newbies have "legitimate" concerns, especially hearing stories about sharks attacking swimmers, surfers etc. My dive master and several others have expressed how these stories (and movies) tend to be over exaggerated and sharks tend to leave you alone. My concern is what if one decides to get curious and up close, I tense up and get nervous (try my best to stay calm)...etc? Legit for these concerns or am I over-worrying?

3. GoPro Hero 3+ going to use it for the first time, got my wand attachment and red lense cover on, ready to jump in and start shooting right now. Any tips to take the best pics and videos? Will 1 battery last me 4 dives/day? Or should I charge a 2nd battery and store as a backup?

Since it's been a while that I last dived, taking a refresher course this Thursday at my dive shop. Going to adjust my weights as best as possible in the pool, of course this changes in open water.

Hey everyone,

1. does anyone know what the current water temps are in Key Largo?

Depending on the day and place the water is 69 to 73. Probably around 71.

2. Sharks.

I have 56 dives in the Key Largo area. Maybe more. On the reef dives like you are doing I have seen a nurse sharks several times. Think big catfish. A few times reef sharks have come by in the distance. My experience is that if you focus on the fish and the coral you will miss the reef sharks and probably the turtles and big rays. Spend part of the time looking around out over the reef. You will see some big stuff.

The only big sharks of other types I have seen were diving the Duane which is a deeper dive.

Bottom line is sharks are zero problem. If you are lucky you may see one go swimming by out at the edge of your viewing.

Have fun.

PS: Not sure about your schedule but if you have the time I would go to Jules before you start diving and try different weightings to get weighted right. That way you don't have to mess around doing it while other folks, including your buddy, are in a hurry to dive and get off the boat. Weight checks are best done in a leisurely fashion unless you have done a lot of them.

Not sure about (1), but if I were diving in Key Largo at this time of year I would dive a 5 mm.

As to (2), you should be so lucky as to happen to see a shark in Key Largo. Out of, I dunno, half a dozen trips there, I don't recall ever seeing more than a nurse shark some distance away. Sharks don't "get curious" unless you are holding out food in your hand. Absent you holding out a dead fish, any shark will just swim right by you, probably keeping some distance between you and him, totally ignoring you. They are not curious about you.

As to (3), I don't carry a GoPro or camera, but seeing that you are a new diver, one thing to consider is to not let the GoPro interfere with either your own safety or your fellow divers' enjoyment of the dive. Don't stick the wand out anywhere near other divers. Don't race in front of other divers to get a shot of something. Also, be sure to take care of yourself first. The GoPro contributes to what people refer to as "task-loading"; it's one more thing to have to manage, and when you're a new diver, you've already got plenty to manage. Have fun with it, but please keep these things in mind.

My concern is what if one decides to get curious and up close, I tense up and get nervous (try my best to stay calm)...etc? Legit for these concerns or am I over-worrying?

I agree that nurse sharks act more like I'd think a catfish would than a stereotypical shark. They flee when I get close, if they move.

The reef sharks I saw in Key Largo would to fit this sort of presentation:

1.) Maybe 3 - 4 feet long.

2.) Skittish - guide holds out & moves around a mirror, likely to create appearance of a thrashing fish, to intrigue them into coming close enough for a look. Even then, they don't get in your space. A number of them don't let divers anywhere close.

If you'd don't spear fish or handle dead fish, you should be fine. Getting a shark close enough long enough to get a decent snap shot is the issue, not fending off an attack.

If and when you see one and experience it first hand, I think you'll agree afterward that it was not a big deal, just neat.

Richard.

Large Nurse Shark at Key Largo

Attachments

• nursesharkxxx.jpg
    nursesharkxxx.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 346
The water will likely be in the lower 70s NDBC - Station MLRF1. Exposure protection is individual, I would likely be diving a full 5 mm and a hooded vest. I recently dived in Boynton Beach/Jupiter at about 73 degrees and was one of the only warm divers in my full 7 mm.

You're unlikely to see any other than nurse sharks, if you're lucky. I have just over 100 dives in Key Largo and have seen 1 Hammerhead, a couple Reef Sharks, and a few Bull Sharks coming down on the Duane that disappear for the whole dive.

Personally, I would lose the Go Pro and be a sightseer for your dives. Too many inexperienced divers feel compelled to have a camera or video with them well before they have adequate experience diving (buoyancy, trim, awareness...) I tire of seeing new divers bicycling away, kicking the reefs, in search of their next photo opportunity.

My daughter is a medical student at Hofstra and lives in Westbury, I bet you can't wait to get away from the winter and escape to Key Largo, I don't blame you.

Good diving, Craig

Large Nurse Shark at Key Largo

Steve, very cool to look at, looks harmless. But Puffy the Border Terrier looked cute and harmless as well until he almost ripped Ted's b***s off in TSAM :) Just kidding I'm going into this with an open mind.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2015 at 03:48 PM ----------

As for your GoPro, you'll want multiple batteries for for 4 dives in one day. If it was me I would switch my battery after every dive. If you don't have that luxury definitely after the second dive.

Thank you for the suggestion! Definitely going to charge up my 2nd battery. Will switch to video mode only when necessary.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2015 at 03:54 PM ----------

The water will likely be in the lower 70s NDBC - Station MLRF1. Exposure protection is individual, I would likely be diving a full 5 mm and a hooded vest. I recently dived in Boynton Beach/Jupiter at about 73 degrees and was one of the only warm divers in my full 7 mm.

You're unlikely to see any other than nurse sharks, if you're lucky. I have just over 100 dives in Key Largo and have seen 1 Hammerhead, a couple Reef Sharks, and a few Bull Sharks coming down on the Duane that disappear for the whole dive.

Personally, I would lose the Go Pro and be a sightseer for your dives. Too many inexperienced divers feel compelled to have a camera or video with them well before they have adequate experience diving (buoyancy, trim, awareness...) I tire of seeing new divers bicycling away, kicking the reefs, in search of their next photo opportunity.

My daughter is a medical student at Hofstra and lives in Westbury, I bet you can't wait to get away from the winter and escape to Key Largo, I don't blame you.

Good diving, Craig

Thanks Craig! One of the first things my dive master taught me was to control my buoyancy. I have to say I have it under control pretty well, I was able to maintain myself a few inches off the bottom in Grand Cayman and frog-kicked gently so I don't kick up debris. The girl in front of me kicked up more crap than car fumes in a gridlock in NYC :) It was really annoying, she was flapping her arms like a fish. I started doing it as well, my dive master told me to put my hands to my sides. Took some work but I got it.

As for the camera, I hear you and I've heard this from many people including my dive master and instructors.....the temptation is too strong though I am caving in and am bringing it this time. I have the GP attached to a wand, I can multitask pretty well out of water, hoping to have the same control in the water. Let's see....thank you for your advice regardless.

Where in Westbury?? Small world! I'm near Carman and Stewart Ave not too far from Carman Ave pool.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2015 at 03:55 PM ----------

I agree that nurse sharks act more like I'd think a catfish would than a stereotypical shark. They flee when I get close, if they move.

2.) Skittish - guide holds out & moves around a mirror, likely to create appearance of a thrashing fish, to intrigue them into coming close enough for a look. Even then, they don't get in your space. A number of them don't let divers anywhere close.

If you'd don't spear fish or handle dead fish, you should be fine. Getting a shark close enough long enough to get a decent snap shot is the issue, not fending off an attack.

If and when you see one and experience it first hand, I think you'll agree afterward that it was not a big deal, just neat.

Richard.

No dead fish in my hands. Got it. :) Thanks Rich for your advice!

---------- Post added February 16th, 2015 at 03:56 PM ----------

Richard.

No dead fish in my hands. Got it. :) Thanks Rich for your advice!

I mostly avoid Key Largo due to the lack of sharks; I've lost count of how many dives I did there (mostly prior to 2006) and aside from some nurse sharks that weren't even a concern when I had fish I've only seen one juvenile reef shark on the reefs. I felt much safer around them than I would around a small dog with a Napoleon complex. If you pull their tail or try kissing them on the nose though, all bets are off :wink:

I almost never dive without a camera for snap shot. I use a Snappy Coil, so I can let it go when I wish, and take it back when I wish. As for task loading, given that you don't have a lot of dives yet, be mindful all this is going on...

1.) You need to maintain buoyancy & depth, staying off the reef.

2.) You need to keep up with where the guide is going (if you're doing guided dives), and where your buddy is (if assigned one).

3.) You need to frequently monitor your tank pressure. Probably the guide will have you signal your amount of air at times, and you'll need to let him know when you're around a half-tank. Especially if your air consumption is amongst the faster of the group.

4.) You'll be looking for things to film.

5.) Due to the zoom effect of being underwater and wearing a mask, you lose considerable peripheral vision.

6.) You can't talk & lack directional hearing.

7.) It's a 3-D world; unlike on land, what's over & under you also matters. You're trying not to blunder into, drop down on or rise up into, or kick, other divers. They can affect you the same way.

8.) While looking for things to film, you'll be trying to keep up with what the guide is pointing out.

9.) If you're doing shallow reef dives rather than deep wrecks, NDL will probably not be an issue. But be aware it matters in diving.

10.) And now, camera drama. Is this thing on? Do I think I'm framing what I want the way I want? Etc...

You don't daydream, do you? Tune out into your own introvert world? 'Cause I do intermittently...

I'm not saying don't take your GoPro. I'm just saying task-loading is a very different animal underwater than on land, because even when you're diving comfortably and aren't thinking about it all that much, you're using more mental bandwidth than you realize, and have less left over for added tasks than you think.

Richard.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom