KEY LARGO trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We just returned from dive trip to Key Largo to break in my new digital camera before our trip to Cozumel in late April.
I have posted some of my photos from the trip in the photo gallery here on the board.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/18410y

All the photos there are from this trip except the manatee. We were only able to dive for 2 days instead of 3 as planned due to the fact my wife caught a bad cold. better here than Cozumel.

Dive Operator on all dives - SEA DWELLER

Dive #1 - Southren part of Molassas Reef
water temp - 74
air temp - 78
Viz - 100'
seas - PERFECT almost flat
suit - full 3/2 mil
Depth - 35' max
This was the type dive you pray for flat seas and decent sunlight. Lots of sealife and absolutely beautiful reef.
Highlights were 5' Green moray, big Grouper, ocean Surgeon,Bicolor Damselfish,Whitespotted Filefish, Orangespotted Filefish to name a few. Also only 7 divers on the boat plenty of room.

Dive #2 - Northren part of Molassas Reef
water temp - 74
air temp - 78
Viz - 100'
seas - PERFECT almost flat
suit - full 3/2 mil
Depth - 35' max
Since first dive went so good all aboard said another dive on Molassas would be a great idea so we moved to the northren end of the reef by the ballroom. Just when you think the last dive was unbeatable you see the northren end absolutely beautiful and by far the better section IMO. The Ballroom was filled with all kinds of sea life what a view. Highlights were Biggest Green Moray we have seen so far asleep in a swimthru. 6' + I would say and just laying out in the open asleep. Also Spotted eel,Stingrays,large pack of Barracuda proably 30-40 all about 4',lagre school of Spadefish and just fish of all kinds everywhere. Some on the boat seen Spotted Singrays but we didn't.

Dive #3 - Binwood Wreck
water temp - 74
air temp - 74
Viz - 50'
seas - 2to 4'
suit - full 3/2 mil
Depth - 42' max
Boat was full 16 divers proably because it was mornig dive, so it was a little crowded. Also cloudy skys . we have been to the Binwood wreck before and I have to say this was proably the the worst dive we have had there. Problem IMO was with our boat full and 4 other boats tied up there also JUST TO MANY PEOPLE. There was not nearly as much fish life on the wreck as I remember last time so I concentrated on coral and sponge shots wich never leave the Binwood. Highlights large Red Grouper very shy, very colorful Christmastree works and Fungus coral. Plenty to see just not normal Binwood dive IMO.

Dive #4 - French Reef
water temp - 74
air temp - 76
Viz - 50'
seas - 2to 4'
suit - full 3/2 mil
Depth - 35' max
Once again seemed to be a popular choice 3 other boats already there. we have been there before and once again JUST TO MANY DIVERS so We did alot of the swim thrus and I took quite a few overall reef type shots. Hightlights lots of lobsters and even out walking around in daytime, couple large Grouper and lots of baby parrot fish. Good dive but have had MUCH better on this reef. I think most of the life was hiding due to all the activity.

All and All it was a GREAT trip in spite of having to come home early due to wife cold and second day was crowded above and underwater. The first days diving was just what you dream about.We meet some nice folks from Ft. Lauderdale and North Carolina and sucked down a few tanks.
TRIP GRADE B+
Also Pm me if you feel there is something I could do better on my pictures. I am a ROOOKIE with digital and any input GOOD or BAD is welcome.

and an interesting tale it is:

http://www.indiana.edu/~r317doc/trail/hisbg.html

despite local (dive boat) rumours that she was torpedoed by a U-Boat, in fact
it was a collision with another merchant vessel (the Tuttle) that sent her to
the bottom.

Nice report. Who did you dive with?

WreckWriter:
For future reference its "Benwood".

Right, and also, it's Molasses

He dove with me for one ;> We just dove on Saturday...The water was great! It was my first trip down to the Keys...I'm used to the deep dark wreck dives of NC. This kinda diving could spoil a man!

I'm looking forward to going out on some of the deeper wrecks when I can get more time. We just drove down from NC to dive on Sat.

Dale

:scubadiver
_______
dive deep

dwright:
He dove with me for one ;> We just dove on Saturday...The water was great! It was my first trip down to the Keys...I'm used to the deep dark wreck dives of NC. This kinda diving could spoil a man!

I'm looking forward to going out on some of the deeper wrecks when I can get more time. We just drove down from NC to dive on Sat.

Dale

:scubadiver
_______
dive deep

Just wait 'till you do the Duane, Bibb, and the Spiegel Grove Dale. You might not want to go back.

Semper Safe,

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom