Lulu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnherrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Please talk about your dives on the Lulu if you went out off Gulf Shores, Alabama with one of the Alabama dive shops.

With whom did you book? What were they like?
What is your opinion about the minimum level of skill set, assuming little to no penetration?
What times of the year did you dive, how cold was it and what were you wearing?
How long is the boat ride out?

I have dove it 3 times. Twice with Down Under out of Gulf Shores and once with Scuba Shack/Wet Dreams out of Pensacola. I have dove it in June, Sept. and Oct. All three times were in a 3 mm suit, I don't remember the temps, but I get cold easily. Both are large boats and great boats to dive off, Down Under was about a 45 minute boat ride. Wet Dreams was a little over an hour boat ride. I enjoyed the Wet Dreams boat the most though. They had fresh made cookies and cold water melon on the ride out. Plus they made us some hot dogs, and even grilled some lion fish and lobster that was speared during our first dive, during the surface interval. Plus they made homemade ice cream for the ride back. The Down Under had water and fresh fruit for us. Plus the Wet Dream boat has large enclosed area if you need to get out of the sun or to warm up depending on the weather.

The dives on the Lulu can be done by even fairly inexperienced divers. The top is only at about 60 feet and the sand at the bottom is at about 115 feet. It is easy to dive and see the whole ship in 2 dives without having to penetrate.

There are several charters in the area also, if you prefer smaller 6 pack boats. I plan on going back in Sept.

...Scuba Shack/Wet Dreams out of Pensacola...

thanks, mate. Absolutely spot-on perfect review.

Some of us are coming from the Austin, Texas area. If you're looking for a crew to dive with, please let us know.

Also, any dive shop with the cojones to name themselves "Wet Dreams" is going to get my attention. Every time.

I'll be visiting the area in August, planning to dive the Lulu and do some shore dives. I'm a tech diver, and would appreciate suggestions on where to rent tanks (preferably HP100s), where to get nitrox fills (if the answer isn't "any dive shop), as well as a dive-friendly motel.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom