key largo dive report deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomfcrist

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Was able to beat the wind witch and get out to the Vitric today. Topside conditions stayed around 3 ft 84 degrees and about .5kt current. Viz was 100'+ top to bottom, and the current on the bottom was negligible. Water temp dropped to 66 and stayed there from 260'-300'.

Unfortunately I think the wind will keep me dry for the rest of the trip. Can't wait to come back down next year.

Video shot in June 2014 showed the wreck to be covered in Lionfish, is that still the case? If yes, very discouraging for rec diver control of the problem.

Video shot in June 2014 showed the wreck to be covered in Lionfish, is that still the case? If yes, very discouraging for rec diver control of the problem.

It is very much still the case. There are literally thousands of them there. One of the rebreather divers filled 3 of the large zookeepers in about 10 minutes. He didn't even dent the population on the site...in fact I don't think he moved more than 5 ft in those 10 minutes.

It would take a dedicated team of 6 divers pulling his numbers for a couple months straight(impossible) to really clean out the wreck. But it would be a good spot if you wanted to win a Lionfish derby.

Jeez. If it wasn't for the historic wreck and a coral reef, I'd suggest the classic response ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q

I think we need to find a Lionfish eradication supporter that owns a gas supply company...he can donate the helium, and we will do the rest.

From what I understand the currents rarely lay down as they did yesterday..so it would definitely be a tough pet project.

I would be more interested in mapping and documenting the dive site personally. Between NC and FL every deep wreck I have been to is loaded with Lionfish...the reality is that they aren't going anywhere any time soon.

I think we need to find a Lionfish eradication supporter that owns a gas supply company...he can donate the helium, and we will do the rest.

From what I understand the currents rarely lay down as they did yesterday..so it would definitely be a tough pet project.

I would be more interested in mapping and documenting the dive site personally. Between NC and FL every deep wreck I have been to is loaded with Lionfish...the reality is that they aren't going anywhere any time soon.

True. Generally if you want to rack up the kills in a lionfish tournament, going deep or off the beaten path is a pretty good plan.

I'd be interested to know what smaller fish - both juveniles and adults - would normally be on these deeper wrecks. It would be nice to know what we lost when the lionfish took those spots over.

True. Generally if you want to rack up the kills in a lionfish tournament, going deep or off the beaten path is a pretty good plan.

I'd be interested to know what smaller fish - both juveniles and adults - would normally be on these deeper wrecks. It would be nice to know what we lost when the lionfish took those spots over.

I can tell you I saw no grouper, one cubera, and a ton of monster AJs. The remainder of the fish were small baitfish that I dint pay too much attention to and of course the Lionfish. Other deep spots I have been to down here had plenty of the usual suspects....grouper, snapper, hogfish, triggers, and notably big jewfish. Maybe the lack of adult predators like grouper can explain the abundance of Lionfish. I dive molasses reef on Wednesday and never saw one Lionfish....just the usual reef dwellers along with a monster snook.

I have noticed the lionfish population appears to be decreasing, or more under control, on Molasses than a few years ago. We just got back from a trip where we only spotted one, years before, it was numerous sightings on each dive. We have seen more diving in the Pompano area, but it could be due to the depth/current making it more difficult.
Based on the video and other sightings, seems like the 200-300 ft regions where most of us do not dive, the lionfish are doing what they do best unhindered. It would be great if NOAA or Woods Hole funded a study to catalog or eradicate them, or at least pick up the trimix bill??

The trimix bill would be the biggest expense...especially in the keys.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom