KEY LARGO, dive report, friday, 10/30/15, pics,,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
after over 2 weeks of excessive winds and rain affecting the keys(crap visibility as a result), today was absolutely outstanding: bright sunshine, light winds, seas < 1FT. wrecks crowded so we elected for a double @ MOLASSES REEF, buoys M27(deep) and M19(shallow). 1st time I've observed truly blue water on the reef in over 2 months! powdery blue viz 50-60 FT, light/zero current, water chilling to 81-82F @ 20-94FT(5MM suit next time). these sections of the reef all to ourselves. excellent fish life: goliath/black/Nassau groupers, turtle, numerous large schools of fish and 2 curious reef sharks @ the end of dive # 2. Timg provides the pics,,,,,,,

last 4 pics, deep MO

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 97
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 88
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 89
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 84
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 75
  • m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 81
  • m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 83
  • m8.jpg
    m8.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 79
  • m9.jpg
    m9.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 77
  • m10.jpg
    m10.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 77
  • m11.jpg
    m11.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 86
  • m12.jpg
    m12.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 78
  • m13.jpg
    m13.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 83
  • m14.jpg
    m14.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 80
  • m15.jpg
    m15.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 84
Nice pics, I love the angels and the shark! I can't sympathize with your chilly 81°F - 82°F water temps. My dives last weekend were 55°F - 56°F. :D I will say that my wife and I really want to come down and dive your neck of the woods in the future. Some of your wrecks down there look really cool. Have a good one!!!

Nice pics, I love the angels and the shark! I can't sympathize with your chilly 81°F - 82°F water temps. My dives last weekend were 55°F - 56°F. :D I will say that my wife and I really want to come down and dive your neck of the woods in the future. Some of your wrecks down there look really cool. Have a good one!!!

Thank you LowDrag.

Great photos as always, I really like the Spanish Hog. They are one of my favorites, not to eat, but to photograph. I believe they recently banned spearing them in FL, so it will be interesting to see if the numbers/size increase.

Mike

Great photos as always, I really like the Spanish Hog. They are one of my favorites, not to eat, but to photograph. I believe they recently banned spearing them in FL, so it will be interesting to see if the numbers/size increase.

Mike

Thank you Mike. That new rule is for Hogfish, not Spanish Hogfish: Hogfish
I hope it makes a difference. People have been asking for that for a few years, glad they finally did something about it. They also did something to address the declining cuda numbers: fwc news: FWC approves barracuda conservation measures for South Florida

Awesome pics. Thanks for the report
I am considering a trip in mid- late January. What is usual air/water Temps around there then?

Thank you Mike. That new rule is for Hogfish, not Spanish Hogfish: Hogfish
I hope it makes a difference. People have been asking for that for a few years, glad they finally did something about it. They also did something to address the declining cuda numbers: fwc news: FWC approves barracuda conservation measures for South Florida

Thanks for the update, I have seen only a few spanish hogs in KL versus the hogfish. I always would usually see a couple of hog's while diving Molasses, but I was just in the Cayman's in August and saw quite a few and they were at least twice the size. I guess that is when I started to question if I was just seeing juveniles in KL.

Good to hear about the cuda numbers, I alway like photographing them and the numbers have seemed to be in decline.

Thanks,

Mike

As for water temp's, my wife and I do most of our KL diving from Oct - Jan, spread out over several trips. I have seen water temps as high as 85 in Jan and as low as 78F, barring thermoclines. I usually dive a 3/2mm full suit and am fine, wife ditched the suit and wears a lava core top and shorts and does not get cold. From Tim's previous posts, I believe he would freeze to death in a 3/2, so it is dependent on the individual. It may make a difference coming from a cooler climate in MD. Florida air temp always feels hot to me in the winter even if it is only high 70's- low 80's air temp.
Florida residents may have a better feel for the temp's, just what I have seen visiting about the last four years on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Awesome pics. Thanks for the report
I am considering a trip in mid- late January. What is usual air/water Temps around there then?

just revisited my trip reports from this past January, water temps ranged from 73F to 77F @ 20-110FT(I've seen water temps on the outer reef as low as the upper 60's some winters). high air temps for January 2015 in key largo ranged from of 67 to 81F(info from weather underground),,,,,,,,bare in mind, 2015 was a relatively warm winter in south florida ,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Great info reefman, thanks.
thats about what I was expecting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom