OWclass shore dive sites in Ft. Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xanyas

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all. I am an instructor in the Jax area and I am going to be heading down to Ft. Lauderdale for the Ocean Fest with my family. While we are there I would like to do some recon dives to find some shore dive sites that I can possibly conduct future OW classes at to break up the monotony of typical springs OW classes. My family and I will be diving these sites so if at all possible I would like names of sites and directions.. and dive profile info if you have it. We will be staying at the Breakaway Inn on Poinciana St in Lauderdale by the Sea. Also (sorry I am asking so much) who has the cheapest air fills close to our hotel?? Thanks so much for any and all help!

K&S, some of the Conch Divers are planning to get together and dive, you might
want to join them. here's the thread:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=47911&page=1&pp=10

also, i'm sure some people will pipe up soon to give you info on the best shore dives
in Ft. Lauderdale.

hope you enjoy

Here's a few to get you started.

Marc

Hey great to have you come down! I'm sure we'll be actually organizing a dive soon, if it's not already being done. Check the private trips sub-forum.Can't place your motel but I get my air at Scuba School at the corner of Oakland & A1A.

H2Andy:
K&S, some of the Conch Divers are planning to get together and dive, you might
want to join them. here's the thread:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=47911&page=1&pp=10

also, i'm sure some people will pipe up soon to give you info on the best shore dives
in Ft. Lauderdale.

hope you enjoy

Thanks a ton! Are you guys "kid friendly"?? Meaning: my 12 year old daughter is going with us. She already has 88 logged dives (shore, boat, drift, night, etc) so she is pretty darned experienced.. but I know that a lot of people don't like diving with kids and even more think kids shouldn't dive at all. And I understand AND respect that. Just let us know.
Kerry

FLL Diver:
Here's a few to get you started.

Marc

Those will help quite a bit! Thanks. I especially liked the "Why I don't like beach dives story".. LOL But I can top it as far as the falling on your butt in the sand when a wave hits you... :) Try doing a shore night dive over coral.. you know... when all the prickly urchins are out? And THEN plant your butt down! OUCH. LOL
Kerry

OkiDiver:
Thanks a ton! Are you guys "kid friendly"?? Meaning: my 12 year old daughter is going with us. She already has 88 logged dives (shore, boat, drift, night, etc) so she is pretty darned experienced.. but I know that a lot of people don't like diving with kids and even more think kids shouldn't dive at all. And I understand AND respect that. Just let us know.
Kerry

well, i've never seen a young 'un diving with the gropus we've
put together, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen...

on the other hand, the last get-together at Ginnie was a kiddie
fest; we had from babies to teens running around... nobody lost an eye or nothing, so i guess it all worked out!

Marvel..
There isn't a dive "planned" yet in the thread that I can find.. just mentions of doing it. We will keep our eyes open and if everyone is "kid friendly" we will try to join ya'll. The hotel is in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.. On Poinciana. They were the only hotel to let me bring my parrot and not charge me an arm and a leg for a pet deposit! Plus they were cheap and had a full kitchen. :) What does the Scuba School charge for fills? Just air on 63s. Thanks a ton!
Kerry

H2Andy:
well, i've never seen a young 'un diving with the gropus we've
put together, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen...

on the other hand, the last get-together at Ginnie was a kiddie
fest; we had from babies to teens running around... nobody lost an eye or nothing, so i guess it all worked out!

LOLOL.. Thanks.. whenever my husband and I dive... she dives. The only time she hasn't dove with us since her certification was our trip to Palau and when we dove with the whale sharks in Okinawa.. the dives were WAY beyond her depth. She is getting ready to do her AOW dives so she will be allowed to 70' now... I guess I will wait and see what the others say about their preference to a kid diving along with the group. Thanks again!

OkiDiver:
Marvel..
There isn't a dive "planned" yet in the thread that I can find.. just mentions of doing it. We will keep our eyes open and if everyone is "kid friendly" we will try to join ya'll. The hotel is in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.. On Poinciana. They were the only hotel to let me bring my parrot and not charge me an arm and a leg for a pet deposit! Plus they were cheap and had a full kitchen. :) What does the Scuba School charge for fills? Just air on 63s. Thanks a ton!
Kerry

Frankly, don't have the answer to the air charge- I rent tanks at $7. Too late at night for me or I'd get you their # or website. You'll be in my back yard & I certainly have no objections to kids- in fact I kind of like the little critters ( 3 grandkids, you see). I'll get you some decent info on fills & perhaps we can get together while your down!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom