Family Trip to the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timhernandez

Reaction score
Hello Floridians,

As a former Floridian, I know to come to the people vs reading the magazine Hype.....

I am bringing my family to Florida on a getaway the last week of June, 2004.

My son and I both dive, me alot more than him, tho I consider myself a novice also.

My wife and 2 younger children do not dive but love the water and will want to snorkel, beach, etc.

My first thought was Key Largo but, should I head farther intot the Keys (Islamorada, Marathon,) for a bit less people/ more opportunities.....

I would love your thoughts on this topic and, any experiences/things to see that you find relevant !!

Thanks in Advance,

-Tim

Michigan, the the Upper Peninsula of Florida. :wink: (every other car in FL has MI plates on it)

There are some decent spots for both snorkel and diving, Sombrero Light off of Marathon & Looe Key off Big Pine. Sombrero is mostly shallow but Looe has some deeper parts. Both are worthwhile stops that I like to hit just for the heck of it if we're cruising past with a little extra time to kill.
There should be several ops to chose from that will haul both divers & snorkelers

I found the Islamorada area to be quieter than Key Largo but expect to pay more. You aren't saying how old the non-diving kids are but there isn't a whole lot for the younger kiddies to do. No beaches like the Atlantic coast, no theme parks. From a central location in the keys you could dive from one end to the other-nothing is inaccessible for an afternoon dive.

Dive with Tavernier Dive Center just over the bridge into Tavernier. They have a nice operation and are very friendly

see their site at

www.tavernierdivecenter.com

timhernandez:
Hello Floridians,

As a former Floridian, I know to come to the people vs reading the magazine Hype.....

I am bringing my family to Florida on a getaway the last week of June, 2004.

My son and I both dive, me alot more than him, tho I consider myself a novice also.

My wife and 2 younger children do not dive but love the water and will want to snorkel, beach, etc.

My first thought was Key Largo but, should I head farther intot the Keys (Islamorada, Marathon,) for a bit less people/ more opportunities.....

I would love your thoughts on this topic and, any experiences/things to see that you find relevant !!

Thanks in Advance,

-Tim

I would suggest Islamorada.not far from largo but closer to better beach snorkeling like bahia honda state park.
Heres some must does while in the area:

1. Feed the tarpon at robbies marina- The kids and you will have a blast feedin 100lb# tarpon. They come out of the water to eat the fish outta your hand, its incredible.

2. World Wide Sportsman- If youre interested in fishing but, the restaurant's good too.

3. Bahia Honda state park- a must, good snorkeling right off the beach. Sponges little critters and fish. Shallow and fun.

Hobo's is my favorite restaurant in the keys. I think its mm104

Hope you have fun!

Where are you flying into, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami? Or maybe you're driving down but either way why go south to the Keys? If you're looking for some great diving and " More Opportunities" why not stay right here in the FLL/MIA area? We have some of the best beach, reef and wreck diving you can find right off shore. We have more wrecks here, nearly 70 in all, then there are in the Keys. IMO the reefs are every bit as good here as they are there and there's virtually no beach diving in the Keys where you can beach dive all up and down the coast around here. There are a few members of the Conch Divers that beach dive several times each week and I'm sure they would be glad to show you around. There are to many dive shops and boats in this area that I couldn't even begin to list them all. Talk about opportunities. Check out this link for just a few of the dive sites in the area as well as the Wreck Maina schedule for June 4th, 5th and 6th.

Hope you have a good trip whatever you deside to do.

Folks,

Thanks for all of the great information and advice.

Our plan is to drive down, stop in Tampa/St. Pete to visit some family, and then head south... I have no real plan other than pre-arranging some places to stay, and getting wet as much as possible ! I am planning on taking around 14 days to meander around the South, decompressing the family from a year of work and school.....

The younger kids are 8 and 9, almost 10, both experienced swimmers and snorkels that cant wait to meet the dad mandated age of 13 to take SCUBA lessons.

Thanks again, and keep the advice coming..... maybe a stay for a day or so in the Lauderdale/Miami area to hit some spots, while the kids and wife do the beach thing...

-Tim

Hay Tim,

If you're in the Ft. Lauderdale area during the week, I have weekdays off, and want to do some diving drop me a PM. There are a few great dive boats and some very nice wrecks that we do and I'll dive just about any time.

Since you're driving, just to give you one more option, many (most?) of us here dive for prehistoric shark's teeth in Venice. If conditions are good, you can find 50 to 100 teeth no problem. Kids love 'em, and there are many varieties.

In fact I recently made a trip to Tampa and stopped both times. If you leave Tampa early enough you can be in Ft. Lauderdale by 2pm.

If interested, post the topic and we'll help you with the dive plan... it's a very easy dive as long as the weather is cooperating but you'll want to know where to go for lunch and what to prepare (like some jugs for a shower) - no wasted time. The beach is nice and people actually find a few shark's teeth there occasionally as well. There's also a boat, but you'll want to make your reservations well in advance.
timhernandez:
Our plan is to drive down, stop in Tampa/St. Pete to visit some family, and then head south...

There a few boats that run out of the lower keys to Looe Key and the Adolphus Busch that will take both snorkelers and divers.

Looe Key Reef Resort and Dive Center on Ramrod Key is one that I'm particularly partial to since I work there, but they run a nice trip and the price is right, especially if you have your own gear.

Bahia Honda State Park, Underseas, and Strike Zone Charters also run trips to the reef, but I think only Underseas takes divers as well as snorkellers, I could be wrong on that though.

For a smaller boat you can also look at Florida Keys Reef-divers. Capt Jim Wyatt is a member of this board and I'd be suprised if he wasn't along shortly.

All these operations are within 30 miles of Key West which has plenty to do for all folks of all ages.

Rachel

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom