Daytona Beach Boat Dive, June 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool

Contributor
Reaction score
What are you and Andy diving out of St. Augustine? Anything that would interest a half-crazed landlubber such as myself?

Ok, for St Augustine: http://www.scubaboard.com/t58033.html, this is about next weekend with Andy - i know he isnt a two dive days a weekend guy being married, kind of like yourself i believe :wink: Its either $65 for 2 tanks out of St A, or we aim at ~$55 out of Daytona with the Sea Dog - also on the thread. Then on the sunday hopefully Blue - just to rinse the salt off of course.
Tooth diving: http://www.scubaboard.com/t60019.html, so far only Jeff and myself.

With both these trips i am hoping to engage Becky into some diving, probably either the coast or the springs for her next weekend and again hopefully down to dig mud for a while too. Or LDS should have their compressor up soon, so we can get free fills again on the new tanks we have just bought - should be set by next weekend as should my cold have left by then!! :wink:

david, you got to come with us! it'll be a blast and you get to watch me barf.

simon: i think we're going to have to settle for a two-tanker. which one should we book with, St. Augustine or Daytona? either is fine by me. I've never dove Daytona.

I'd like to book Monday the latest, just to make sure we got
space.

I was going to suggest the same thing about booking on monday - which one though, i would like to see what the price is for the Daytona trip (which seems cheaper for a similar distance out) without the tanks included - seeing as some of us have our own tanks now - so which would you prefer?? Should we do rock, paper, scissors or toss a coin? I know i would like to go out of both places one day so cost isnt really the issue as one day i will pay it. Lets see what the schedules are (ie leaving and returning times - that could sway me somewhat as i would like to get back to get my tanks filled before a potential sunday afternoon dive - although not certain on that) for saturday for each operation. I just emailed Sea Dog about times and prices (w/o tanks) - they are in New Symrna (sp?), so almost Daytona.

What does the one in St Augustine do during the trip, any special treatments that would really push me towards an early depature (7am did you say, leave here around 5am)?? Cost might be an issue with Becky, hence the free (no cost) dives on sunday if possible with her - i think the $65 scared her off somewhat :wink:

Are either of you free for the tooth dive in a few weekends??

BTW, i now have another primary and a new safety reel - getting tooled up slowly! Missed out on a couple of finger spools though. :frown: More coming in the future i am sure.

Also, if we find the trips booked up, well we always have the springs, which cant really get booked up.

Cool! Andy's breakfast, spread out before us in all it's glory! Man, you can count me in, this I have got to see!

I have no experience diving either Daytona or St. Augustine, so someone else gets to decide. I am just there to see Andy lose his breakfast, and dinner from the night before, and lunch from the day before, and breakfast from the morning before.......

What is there to dive off of either city?

Check out the two websites on those threads for St Augustine and Sea Dog - i just read the Sea Dog again and they have a whole bunch of wrecks around 80ft and some kind of reef diving too (although i assume that is further out as it is more expensive (or maybe the operators dont like it and put on a tax of some sort???). I believe the other also has a good selection, check out your Deloach book - if you dont have one, maybe i can check mine and report on monday (when next at the work computer) as to the types of things to expect - cos i really dont know names off hand. I know there is a lot of spearing and lobstering in season off there - so i am assuming many areas as those rocky ledge type things, but maybe not what the SE FL people might call reefs.

BTW, i too will have to start taking some kind of seasickness stuff, 2 out of 3 trips SI's have ended that way - i think its the diesel fumes while you are just sitting there waiting that get me, cos i have spent my life on the water - havent gotten sick until boat SI's - weird. I hope not to show my breakfast or other meals - unless we grab a late lunch on the return to port, then you can see and see an empty plate in its place very soon afterwards :wink:

ok, st. agustine and daytona are going to offer pretty much the same vis, bottom,
and type of diving: either a fake wreck full of life, or a natural ledge full of life. so
as far as that goes, we're gonna see the same thing. daytona may be a tad warmer...

st. augUstine:

cost: $65 boat fee
air: $10 per tank, extra
nitrox: $18 per tank, extra
amenities: free drinks
size of boat: 40 feet
dive depths: 70-80 feet

daytona:

cost:$65/$75 boat fee (wreck/reef)
air: included
nitrox: $10.00, extra
amenities: free snacks
size of boat: 42 feet
dive depths: 70-80 feet

for david and me who rent tanks, Daytona is cheaper.
for simon, it doesn't matter since he has his own.

i vote Daytona, since it's cheper for me and closer for you guys.

Personally in the 80ft range i am still diving air, i dont have the tank capacity nor SAC to push 40 or so mins BT and i get free fills of air. I go for Daytona as its probably an easier drive for me and its boat is an extra two foot longer and size does matter!!

sounds good to me. let's see what david says. i can call up on Monday and reserve
for the three of us.

I will check with Becky and that would make two pairs rather than a threesome - i may like you guys, but that kind of ratio could cause trouble :wink: Will know by monday, however i am in for boat trip only, tanks should be all good by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom