Dive Conditions In Keys-need Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yknot

Reaction score
I'm considering a trip this fall to the Keys, will be in Uppers as part of the goal will be to dive Spiegal Grove, Duane, Bibb, Eagle. What should I expect in the fall and is there one time that is better than any other? I realize that this is hurricane season and understand those risks. When do the crowds start to thin? Looking at Sept. or October. Off season rates would be a bonus. In general, looking for general water surf temps but also expected sea conditions and vis.

is typically better in September than October... less wind and warmer water temperatures on average. Seas will depend on the wind speed and direction, and range from flat calm to OMG. Check out the Molasses Reef weather bouy via our weather page at www.BlueWaterDiver.net/weather and follow the links to NOAA's historical data for a better idea of what to expect in the way of wind and surface sea temperatures.

Visibility on the deep wrecks is affected mostly by current and plankton (I haven't noticed any correllation between season and visibility), but is generally forty feet or better. Visibility on the shallow sites may drop as winds and seas build, but September and October have produced some of my most memorable dives... many in flat calm seas with over a hundred feet of visibility!

Both months are considered "off-season" by hotel managers, and rates are at their lowest of the year. Let me know if you need more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom