Diving in Destin Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubyDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy Everyone,

Im planning a trip to Destin later this summer and Im hoping to get in some diving while Im there. Does anyone have any suggestions on Charters they would recommend. I have already done a search and found one suggestion, which was ScubaTech. I have visited thier website and have a little information on them. I have also found a charter called Emerald Coast which looks like they may have a pretty good operation.

Im a new diver and this will most likely be my first excursion into salt water, so perhaps shore dives around the pier and bridge there are more appropriate than going out to wrecks or natural reefs? What do ya'll think? Another thing to consider is that no one else in my vacation party is a diver, so hopefully a dive charter can buddy me up with someone.

Id like to hear first hand experiences and suggestions if possible.

Thanks

Scubydoo,

I do all of my local diving with ScubaTech. Except for an occational excursion to the "Timberholes," the daily reef and wreck dives are between 60 and 85 fsw. I prefer the natural reefs "Whitehill", "Amberjack", and "Triplets" to name a few, but there is usually nice fishlife to be found on the "Rubble Pile" and wrecks such as the "Barrel Barge", "Liberty Ship", and "Miss Louise."

I'm a new diver and this will most likely be my first excursion into salt water, so perhaps shore dives around the pier and bridge there are more appropriate than going out to wrecks or natural reefs?

My youngest son (who turned 14 today) has been diving Destin since he was certified at 12 (by ScubaTech). The dives are not hard. The "Wrecks" are artificial reefs and there is no penetration because there is nothing to penetrate. I personally don't think there is any shore-diving worth the effort in Destin.

I have never been on the Emerald Coast boat, so I can't make that comparison. During the summer, ScubaTech regularly makes three trips a day at 7am, 11am, and 3pm. They also do night dives on the wrecks (so you can't get lost).

Let me know when you get closer to making your plans.

Stone,

Thanks for your first hand knowledge and advice. It was exactly what I was hoping to for. I think I will probably go ahead and look them up when Im there.

You did say that most of the good reefs and wrecks were in 60-85 FSW. As a new diver, Im only supposed to go 60 fsw. This is why I felt I perhaps I should stick to the easier shallower dives for the time being. I aced all my classes and dive skills, and feel confident I could handle deeper waters, but I really hate to buck what is the accepted norms. I figure there is a good reason for them. Isnt it possible in fact that Scubatech will advise against me diving those sites which are beyond 60 fsw?

Im going to be down in Florida this weekend for my OW cert dives at Florida Springs. I'll probably finish up my dives by around noon on Saturday and hope to head down to Destin to check it out. Maybe even go by Scubatech while Im there.

Thanks again for your help!

Scubydoo,

Checking with ScubaTech about your post certifcation dives is a good idea. You need to feel comfortable about going deeper than 60 ft. Think of diving deeper than 60 ft like this: If you're diving a barge in 75 ft of water, you're at 60 ft when on top of it, and at 75 ft when you swim down to the sand. . . piece of cake. There are many sites like that in Destin. ScubaTech always has a DM on board. He'd be glad (tip) to make a dive or two (tip) with you (DMs like tips).

Have fun on your cert dives!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom