Destin Jetties dive report 7/8/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today was one of those not so great days. It started with the sky looking like rain - I put off the dive for 1/2 hour to see what would happen. Got in the water around 9 am. It was green, hot, and hazy. There was a definite thermocline at 5' under which the temperature was 84 degrees. Getting under the thermocline, the color of the water turned more blue and the haze cleared as well. It was still kind of dark due to the clouds and green layer above. Unfortunately, my old friend June Grass was heavy, I guess it heard my last report wondering where it was :D . Viz was 25' if you didn't count the slime shred factor. Small fish were abundant but due to the viz I stayed at 20' and did not go around the point to see what else was out today. Due to the June Grass, I'd have to rate today's dive a 7 on a scale of 10. Still a good dive, just not great. Attached are some pictures.

Your pics are great. The water in your prevous dive looked better than I expected to see at Destin.

Haven't been there, but may be in the area later this summer. How long is the diving good? What time of year do you need a 3mm wetsuit?

Wings:
Your pics are great. The water in your prevous dive looked better than I expected to see at Destin.

Haven't been there, but may be in the area later this summer. How long is the diving good? What time of year do you need a 3mm wetsuit?
The average viz I've had here is 25' so the last two dives have been great.

The June Grass can hang around all summer, it will be hit and miss until September for viz. I've been diving at the Jetties all through the winter and can get great viz and temps not too bad. By January the temps are at least down to the lower 60's. Sometimes there is an increase in jellyfish in the early fall, again, very hit and miss. Tides are not very favorable from December to February - high tide comes mostly at night.

Depending on the weather, I can probably get by without a wet suit until the end of September or early October.

Thanks,

Maybe I can call on you at the hospital.... and make it a business trip.

Then we can do diving!

James

P.S. I got out of that Atlanta traffic mess myself a couple of years ago.

Slime shred..ewww! The Destin Jetties looks like an interesting dive under the right conditions.

I've noticed "the shred" here at Gulf Shores since last Saturday. D'Oh(!), I'm still looking forward to the Destin Jeddies this weekend :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom