Looking for Keys Info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rixx

Registered
Reaction score
Have a trip coming up, (Sept. 15th) looking for info on the best dives. Have a week there, will go anywhere. I did a search, looks like the best diving is the upper Keys?? Also heard a little about Looe Key? Worth checking out??

I prefer lots of fish and corals, vs. wrecks, and deep dives. Also would like to eliminate LONG boat rides. Any suggestions on where to go? WHO to go with?

I appreciate any and all info!!!!

THANKS!!
Rixx

Rixx:
Have a trip coming up, (Sept. 15th) looking for info on the best dives. Have a week there, will go anywhere. I did a search, looks like the best diving is the upper Keys?? Also heard a little about Looe Key? Worth checking out??

I prefer lots of fish and corals, vs. wrecks, and deep dives. Also would like to eliminate LONG boat rides. Any suggestions on where to go? WHO to go with?

THANKS!!
Rixx

Key Largo has the most options with short boat rides.
Looe Key is spectacular, but one day covers it all.

Try these guys http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/ or PM keylargobrent for Key Largo.
PM CaptJimWyatt for a Looe key trip.
Most any good dive shop in the keys will have a deal set up with local hotels, and can get you good rates.

Enjoy your trip. We might be there that week as well.

HarleyDiver:
Key Largo has the most options with short boat rides.
Looe Key is spectacular, but one day covers it all.

Try these guys http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/ or PM keylargobrent for Key Largo.
PM CaptJimWyatt for a Looe key trip.
Most any good dive shop in the keys will have a deal set up with local hotels, and can get you good rates.

Enjoy your trip. We might be there that week as well.

I have been to Largo once before. Rented a boat, and did our own thing at Molasses Reef. That was it though, short trip.

My buddy going along, has enough 'points' at Holiday Inn, for us to stay free. Coupled with 39.00 flights to Ft. Lauderdale, we have plenty of $$$ for diving. Staying at Key West 1 night, Marathon 2 nights, and Largo 2 nights. Wondering if we should spend more time in Largo?

I'll check the links out!!

Appreciate the help!!
Rixx

There is also some decent reef dives down in Key West. I used to go down there every year, and would always hit a couple dives while there.

Paul

SILENT WORLD has a 5 TRIP (ten dives) package for $179 plus tax. Includes tanks & weights. They have 2 boats (30 ft Island Hoppers) and limit to 12 (I think) which is about all you can stand on those boats anyway.

We dove with them in May 2004 & had a great time. Janet is a good DM.

Mike

The last time I checked, the reefs look horrible in Key West. Too many cruise ships coming in.

My advice, stay in the upper to middle keys.

SWT

saltwater taffy:
The last time I checked, the reefs look horrible in Key West. Too many cruise ships coming in.

My advice, stay in the upper to middle keys.

SWT

Looking like I might have to push the trip further ahead by a week. Due to scheduling conflicts....

Silent World question... How far away are the Reefs from S.W.? Looking for SHORT boat rides!! I'm thinking S,W, is close, just don't remember for sure.

Thanks!
Rixx

.. we have been there twice and really enjoyed the diving. We liked both Paradise Charters and Horizon Divers. Paradise is the only outfit in the upper keys that puts a divemaster in the water with you on every dive. It does make it nice b/c you don't have to worry about navigation at all!!! Very stress-free. Also the dive briefings were excellent and the customer service was first-rate. Horizon was just as good; although no DM. They both have lockers to store your gear in overnight so you don't have to schlepp it to your hotel. I would recommend either outfit.

Rixx:

THANKS!!
Rixx
Looe Key is definitely worth a visit, as is Key Largo. It's a short boat ride from Silent World's dock (mm 106 os) to Dry Rocks and The Elbow Reef (about half an hour).

For diving the Benwood, French, Molasses, Pickles, and Snapper Ledge... the operators (including ours) at mile marker 100 oceanside (next to the Holiday Inn) are closer to the action (about half an hour).

In Key Largo, Molasses Reef probably offers the best of what you're looking for. Snapper Ledge is also highly recommended, as it's almost always LOADED with fishes, along with more than a few nurse sharks and moray eels.

Conch Reef and Alligator Reef, in Tavernier and Islamorada respectively, are also very nice.

I live in Tampa and have about 40 key dives under my belt
Silent world is Ok but the best is Divers City
I will only use them from now on

two great things about them is
drift diving the Grove and night dives on the Duane
most boats just hook up to a ball and you have to go down
and fight your way back

It would take you 5 to 8 dives on a normal boat
to see what you get in one drift dive

Now i do have friends that cant do that kind of drop
mainly because they cant clear fast and might not hit the right spot
they use silent world