Key West Dive Operators Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DenverCoJeff

Reaction score
Hey There Florida Divers,

Dry-land diving guy here on his first trip to dive with more than 10 feet of visibility.

Dashing off to Key West tomorrow - yes Mr. Last Minute - and wondering if anybody has some recommendations for diving and even dining in Key West.

Thanks!

Jeff

DenverCoJeff:

Dry-land diving guy here on his first trip to dive with more than 10 feet of visibility.

Dashing off to Key West tomorrow - yes Mr. Last Minute - and wondering if anybody has some recommendations for diving and even dining in Key West.

Thanks!

Jeff

No question about it. If you're going to Key West, drive 20 min up to mile marker 21 & visit Jim Wyatt of Reef-Divers. The diving off Looe Key is fantastic, and much better than that off Key West. It's an easy drive; my wife & I stayed right where US 1 comes into Key West, and we'd wake up at 7:20am & be on the boat at 7:55am. Jim will take very good care of you. If you want any other info, feel free to PM me or post.

Jim

Ditto on Capt Wyatt and Reef Divers. You will have a great outting.

My only experience in Key West is with South Point Divers. I did my AOW with them in '01, and did the Cayman Salvager (94 fsw) twice and Joe's Tug (~65 fsw) once, as well as a couple of shallow reefs. Good diving and a good experience. If you're there for three days, you can do the AOW for just a little more $ than a three-day dive package. That's what my wife and I did back then, and we had a great experience.

Here's their web site:
http://www.southpointdivers.com/

I can't comment on Looe Key. I've heard lots of good things about it, but never been there myself.

Here's a good listing of dive sites in the Keys, courtesy of the Florida Conch Divers:
http://www.conchdivers.com/keys/keysdivesites.htm

Good luck,
Grier

I have dove with South Pointe in Key West in the past. They are a good operation. Did mainly the reef dives each time I was with them. I have all dove up in Looe Key with Looe Key Reef Resort and Dive Center, they are at MM27 I believe. They weren't that bad of a operation.

Paul

DenverCoJeff:

Thanks!

Jeff
With regard to reef diving, Looe Key is far superior (IMO) to Key West. Jim Wyatt runs a great six passenger operation. Plus, he's a member of ScubaBoard! Dive with Jim if you can.

As for dining in Key West, I like B.O.'s Fish Wagon (you'll have to ask a local how to find it) for fish and chips, and The Half Shell Raw Bar or Turtle Kraals (both at the old seaport) for variety. In Key West, restaurant quality and value seem to be directly related to the number of bicycles parked out front!

For nature lovers, The Butterfly Conservatory at the south end of Duval Street (near the Southernmost Point) may just be the best bang-for-your-ten-bucks in town. Enjoy!

KeyLargoBrent:
As for dining in Key West, I like B.O.'s Fish Wagon (you'll have to ask a local how to find it) for fish and chips

<drooling> B.O.s I am going to miss that place this year.

Paul

Turtle krawls is awsome!!!!! Was just there and it is great!!!!! I also recomend www.divekeywest.com just got certified with them and they are great! Made me really feel at ease in the water and were all very knowledgable. Ask for Bob, Cece or Mike

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom