Trip Report-Cedar Key NEW LDS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPSEAWOLF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OH HAPPY DAYS!!!
The NAPA Auto parts store had a dive shop years ago, but all they had was freedive gear and a one line compressor. Now years later, the owners have finally BECOME divers and are creating a full service store. It looked like they had two different types of bank tanks, not sure what mixes they might be running. They have a great line of speargear for the closet everything is in. It's an up and coming store, so it is small now. Better than driving all the way back to EE or CE for fills!
Gibbon and I went to do some fishing and I have been scouting dive/spear spots for the last few weeks. Anybody that will give me info is picked like a succulent lobster tail!
SPEAKING OF WHICH... we aught five nice sizedcrabs, saw lots of mullet jumping, and I was only 50' from a resident dolphin that scared all the fish away. I don't know about Gibbon, but I feel burnt! Don't look it too badly though. I will be scouting by boat next week. I am told by tour captains of a couple definite places for dropoff and diving as well as artifact and shell collecting. As this is a National Historic area, they are touchy about what you can remove, so shells and teeth are about it unless you're in the water. Once in the water, the guy from the LSR said it's kind of open territory.
On a good note, the sea was so glassy, there were a number of kayakers to be seen in the bay, as well as around the keys.
I'm told that viz is best at the top of incoming tide when all the crud is pushed inshore, versus receding tide when the silt is pulled out of the bay and into the channels.

Wolf-
I'm looking to deplete the grouper population, myself. I live near Gibbon and would love to try spearfishing. I have a boat, too, but it is a 25' cruiser and not too good for diving. I have all the Garmin software and a Garmin 176C to help plot courses to new fishing grounds... :eyebrow:

I get my fills at Cave Excursions on 47 by Ginnie. Great place.
Kurt

DUDE LET'S GO!!!!!
You probably live triangulated from me as well then. I live near the intersection of I-75 and Archer Road. (Under the overpass :crafty: ) About a quarter mile from the intersection on The Archer side. Are you off work on Wednesday? First day of Lobster SportSeason? Care to scope some sights? I have a list of potential grouper/hog holes also! I'm off work this week until Thursday afternoon. I'd love to look for lobby spots! I'm taking the 6-11 of August off for the beginning of lobster season. I'll help with gas and other goodies. From what I've heard, Cedar key is overlooked because of picky situations. Viz best at high tides, silty after storms,... but the people I have been speaking with that LIVE there, and fish n dive it, say it's untapped! Many large hog, flounder and grouper. Some are even bringing in cobia from around the islands. They say there are MANY spots not listed on any maps. Let me know when you want to go. I work weekends for now so if we go then, Saturdays are best. I have to be back in town by 6pm. Name the time and place!
352-376-8059 adamskd@bellsouth.net

DEEPSEAWOLF:
DUDE LET'S GO!!!!!
You probably live triangulated from me as well then. I live near the intersection of I-75 and Archer Road. (Under the overpass :crafty: ) About a quarter mile from the intersection on The Archer side. Are you off work on Wednesday? First day of Lobster SportSeason? Care to scope some sights? I have a list of potential grouper/hog holes also! I'm off work this week until Thursday afternoon. I'd love to look for lobby spots! I'm taking the 6-11 of August off for the beginning of lobster season. I'll help with gas and other goodies. From what I've heard, Cedar key is overlooked because of picky situations. Viz best at high tides, silty after storms,... but the people I have been speaking with that LIVE there, and fish n dive it, say it's untapped! Many large hog, flounder and grouper. Some are even bringing in cobia from around the islands. They say there are MANY spots not listed on any maps. Let me know when you want to go. I work weekends for now so if we go then, Saturdays are best. I have to be back in town by 6pm. Name the time and place!
352-376-8059 adamskd@bellsouth.net

Wolf-
I am off next week until Friday night. Then, my schedule is uncertain but I will know more after that. I believe I'll work Mon-Fri 7am-3:30pm until Labor Day and then I'll have weekdays off some weeks, weekends off others. The best part is, I'll only work 3 weeks out of each month. Email me off-list, and let's get with Jarred and see what we can do. :dazzler1:
Kurt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom