Destin Jetties dive report 7/28/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The day started out without rain for a change. High tide was about 7:30 am and I got into the water about 8 am. The viz was OK at about 20', nothing to write home about. The temperature at 28' was 85 degrees. I stayed on the north side of the jetty and the current did not seem bad at all.

While I was taking pictures I noticed the water getting more cloudy all of a sudden - I looked up to see a herd of 20 divers stirring up the dust headed in my direction. They were a disaster with tanks on. They were focused on their clipboards and were digging in the sand with hands and feet. I'm posting a picture of two who got their gear tangled together :11: . They did quite a tango to get loose. I tried to move closer to the point, but as I was setting up to take more pics, I felt something tingle my neck. I looked up to see 5 jellyfish very close by and more on the way. I decided to endure the human pests rather than get stung :D . Attached are a few pics.

Awesome pic of the jellyfish. I did some snorkeling there about a month ago, and saw two divers below. Made me wish I was down there too.

SeaYoda:
The day started out without rain for a change. High tide was about 7:30 am and I got into the water about 8 am. The viz was OK at about 20', nothing to write home about. The temperature at 28' was 85 degrees. I stayed on the north side of the jetty and the current did not seem bad at all.

While I was taking pictures I noticed the water getting more cloudy all of a sudden - I looked up to see a herd of 20 divers stirring up the dust headed in my direction. They were a disaster with tanks on. They were focused on their clipboards and were digging in the sand with hands and feet. I'm posting a picture of two who got their gear tangled together :11: . They did quite a tango to get loose. I tried to move closer to the point, but as I was setting up to take more pics, I felt something tingle my neck. I looked up to see 5 jellyfish very close by and more on the way. I decided to endure the human pests rather than get stung :D . Attached are a few pics.
Yikes, I hate jellies. This one is a Stinging Nettle, ouch. Nice pics though.

jelly ID - http://dockwatch.disl.org/glossary.htm

jviehe:
Yikes, I hate jellies. This one is a Stinging Nettle, ouch. Nice pics though.

jelly ID - http://dockwatch.disl.org/glossary.htm
Thanks for the ID site, added it to my favorites in case I meet more of these guys. Moon jellies have been numberous here before. Comb jellies also show up from time to time.

Stinging Nettles are regulars to our waters, they come in groves about this time of year. We've been doing shore night dives every week, during week days, and they have been giving us quite a run for our money. Once they even drove us out the water. Imagine pointing your light in any given direction and seeing no less than 4 or 5 at any given time :) Ouch!

20' still isn't too horrible, sounds like a good time, possibly even comical watching the divers getting themselves tangled - if you can get past the fact they were screwing with your vis!

We may be heading out to Destin Jeddies Saturday - will verify soon.

SuPrBuGmAn:
... possibly even comical watching the divers getting themselves tangled - if you can get past the fact they were screwing with your vis!...
I hope they didn't hear me laughing through my reg :D .

We get the Australian Spotted Jellies all over the place here, non stinging luckily, but still freaky. Ill be at the Panama City jetties on dunsay if anyone wants to come over. Maybe if tides right, I can hop over to Destin later. 10:30cst for high tide at PC on sunday.

High for Destin, FL Saturday will be around 10:43AM - looks like we'll be there around then and in the water around ~11ish :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom