Key West Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzzyBSK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I'm looking to book a diving trip in Key West and was wondering if anybody ever dove with The Island Escapes diving operation. How is the diving in Key West verses Key Largo? I thought that I would try Key West this time because there is more to see and do during the dry time. Any thoughts?

There are some other sites close to Key West that have better diving. I've done KW a couple of times and had good experiences, but many of my local buddies like a couple of places slightly north of there. Look around the Florida Conch Divers forum, especially in the Private Trips area, and you should find lots of info.

Good luck,
Grier

Thanks for the info. I got a quote from a place down there that sounds pretty good. I've never dove there so I would like to try it unless somebody said the diving was awful. That doesn't sound like the case. I'll be with my girlfriend so she wants the total experence and not just a good dive site.

OzzyBSK:
Thanks for the info. I got a quote from a place down there that sounds pretty good. I've never dove there so I would like to try it unless somebody said the diving was awful. That doesn't sound like the case. I'll be with my girlfriend so she wants the total experence and not just a good dive site.
Try Key West diving by all means, but don't commit to doing all of your dives there before seeing for yourself what it's like. IMO the diving is MUCH better at Looe Key (~20 miles up the road). Contact CaptJimWyatt of this board to arrange a trip to Looe Key... you'll be glad you did. Jim runs a six passenger dive boat out of Cudjoe Key Marina, a few blocks behind the Sheriff's substation at mile marker 21 oceanside. I hope you have a great time, and will post a report here when you get back.

I wholeheartedly agree. Definitely give Capt. Jim's operation a look. He's fantastic & if you search this board long enough, you'll see that most suggest that Key West diving is a step down from that you can get just 20 min drive east. On our last trip to the Keys, we stayed on Key West, got up about 7:15am & were on Jim's boat by 8am. Awesome diving, great operation.

Jim

Report on Key West diving. Just got back and the vis is not that great right now(12-15)on the reefs and 20-25 on the deeper dives. I have my own boat so I can't speak for dive charters but I did get shorted on air fills at SubTropic. I won't be using them for air fills anymore.
back40

I went to KW with my wife and friends in June. Number one comment is avoid Reef Raiders. I'll give up diving before I would ever go on that cattle call again. Worst dive experience of my 10 years diving. Try going up to Bahia Honda Key, MM 38.5, and go out with Paradise Divers. They will take you to Looe and Sombrero Keys. Nice dives. Coral was spectacular, fish were great, but visibility was poor, about 20-25 feet. Actually the reefs at KW, Sand Key and Rock Key were good, it was just a lousy dive operator. I heard that the water is clearer up around Largo, but I cannot attest to that.

Chipb :diver:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom