Got to Dive NOAA's Aquarius Lab !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Had a wonderful time, 4 days in the Keys! We did 6 dives including an invite to dive Aquarius, NOAA's version of NASA's International Space Station. The lab is big, about the size of a large bus. She sits in 65 ft of water off Key Largo. It was a bit eerie, we dove it early evening yesterday just before it got dark. The lab is covered with all sorts of fish including 2 huge Jewfish (Goliath grouper). It appears to be a male and his mate. My wife approached the female Jewfish and began petting her, then they parted with a quick kiss...I hope the pics turned out. The male just kept his distance. I really hope to have some impressive shots for everyone. Diving with Cheryl and I, were our close friend Mary and her 11 year old daughter Sarah. Sarah was absolutey stoked with experience! I certified Sarah last year...now she wants to be advanced certified. We dove the Aquarius with Dual Porpoise and the rest of the dives with Ocean Divers. Just a fantasic weekend. Other dives, certified one new diver and introduced wife and friend to Reef's fish survey tecniques ... They really got into fish surveying...Talked about surveying the entire 4 hour ride home

Earliar this weekend, the NOAA people gave us a VIP tour of their gound station...It also was impressive and they were so accomodating

Joe

How did you get to do the Aquarius? I've read about it and would love to dive it some time.

Sounds like a very nice trip in general, with that dive as the icing on the cake.

-Nice report,
Grier

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom