Blackthorn Wreck GPS Numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have the numbers for the Blackthorn/Sheridan?

Looking for a good set of numbers from someone who has actually been there. Have used some of the standard numbers on stuff before, and never found the wreck. Would rather be diving than motoring around hoping for the thing to show on the depth finder.

Also, are there surface buoys on these, or do we need to anchor?

Thanks in advance.

Double Down:
There is a bouy on the Blackthorn, but not the Sheridan. I am at work so I do not have the numbers here, but will try to post when I get home if someone else hasn't by then.

I would appreciate it. Thanks for the info on the bouy. Sure makes life a bit easier.

Any other pointers are welcome. The group of guys going are not techs...just plan to stay outside and take in a new site.

Thanks,

actully the ball is right next to the sherridan
with in 20 feet of it
the Blackthorn is about 100 feet away
sherridan is intact
blackthorn is a pile of rubble

dive safe

mark s

Bump for #s.

Thanks,

Double Down:
flounderboy,

Your right. I wasn't awake yet when I posted that. Thanks for giving him the numbers. I forgot about it till this morning.

Thanks for the numbers. Really looking forward to diving these. Haven't done this set of wrecks before.

The GPS numbers, along with the history of the USCG BLACKTHORN (and pictures of it) can be found in the book, Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State.

As mentioned, the large yellow Pinellas County Artificial Reef Program buoy is not on the BLACKTHORN, but is just off the bow of the SHERIDAN. If you swim off the bow of the SHERIDAN, you will intersect the wreck of the BLACKTHORN. The stern is broken off, but fairly intact, and the main hull is laying on its side.
There is also a barge just off the stern of the BLACKTHORN. It is possible to swim all of these wrecks on one dive. Again, all the numbers (for all three of these wrecks, and over 1,000 more) are in the aforementioned book.
Cheers,
Mike

Incidentally, anyone interested in diving wrecks or just curious about them would enjoy the Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State. It's a very cool book Mike! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom