SICK!!! lobster HELP HELP!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was listening to archives from the Scubaradio web site. (8-7-2004, hour1) They were talking about 5%-7% of juvenile lobsters having this disease. They were not sure if it was transmittable to humans. Maybe Grier can give us an update on this sick lobster epic. It has me a little worried. I love lobster.
:11:

Having what disease? Shell burn? If so, don't worry about it... it isn't transmittable to humans. I'm no doctor though, so if your exoskeleton starts to bother you after eating them, please seek medical attention.

murphdivers286:
I was listening to archives from the Scubaradio web site. (8-7-2004, hour1) They were talking about 5%-7% of juvenile lobsters having this disease. They were not sure if it was transmittable to humans. Maybe Grier can give us an update on this sick lobster epic. It has me a little worried. I love lobster.
:11:

I haven't heard about any lobster disease but I can shed light on shrimp diseases and humans. There are three major viruses that are quite lethal to shrimp. White Spot, Yellow Head and Taura Virus all will kill a large portion of shrimp on farms and in the wild. If you have eaten any farmed shrimp, you have eaten these viruses. Well, maybe not Yellow Head. It hasn't been around for a while. The diseases have absolutely no effect on humans. Hank

I'm checking it out right now... Thanks for the link!

-G

Interesting - the virus apparently attacks young lobsters (too small to harvest) and is 100% fatal to them. It's called PAV1 (Panulirus argus virus 1) and is the first virus known to infect the spiny lobster.

Apparently the main concern for us bughunters is that of diminshed numbers of bugs in the Keys (so that's where they all went when the season started!)

Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing it Darrell!

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
Interesting - the virus apparently attacks young lobsters (too small to harvest) and is 100% fatal to them. It's called PAV1 (Panulirus argus virus 1) and is the first virus known to infect the spiny lobster.
-Grier

100% mortality on young? That's swell... if it spreads you can say adios to that species as a fishery. Remember what happened to Diadema?

One feature that is diagnostic for the disease is that the blood turns milky white when the lobster is infected. You might want to report suspected cases to Florida Fish and Wildlife.

It looks like roughly 5-7% of small lobsters are affected, at least from the limited sampling that researchers have done. Some early reports looked like as many as 30% of young lobsters might have been effected, but Don Barringer, the scientist that discovered the virus thinks that the prevalence is 5-7%.

Very, very interesting.

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
One feature that is diagnostic for the disease is that the blood turns milky white when the lobster is infected. You might want to report suspected cases to Florida Fish and Wildlife.

It looks like roughly 5-7% of small lobsters are affected, at least from the limited sampling that researchers have done. Some early reports looked like as many as 30% of young lobsters might have been effected, but Don Barringer, the scientist that discovered the virus thinks that the prevalence is 5-7%.

Very, very interesting.

-Grier

You may want to send fixed samples of pleopods (soak in 90% ethyl alcohol) to U of Arizona diagnostic lab. Dr. Don Lightner is considered the world authority in diagnosing crustacean viruses.
I have a friend who is supposed to ship me shrimp grown on Plantation Key. Maybe I should hold off until this thing is figured out. This disease could transfer to shrimp as some viruses do. Thanks for this post. Hank

I thought he was talking about a sick pet..... :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom