Question for experienced divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokeborn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If the hurricane isn't supposed to hit until Sunday at the earliest, what effect will it have on a dive tomorrow? My wife and I would like to dive Sebastian Inlet tomorrow morning, but aren't sure what the conditions will be. Thanks.

jokeborn:
If the hurricane isn't supposed to hit until Sunday at the earliest, what effect will it have on a dive tomorrow? My wife and I would like to dive Sebastian Inlet tomorrow morning, but aren't sure what the conditions will be. Thanks.

Rip & longshore currents may be more prevalent.

Would there be substantial wave action stirring up what little viz there is out there at the moment? BTW - not an experienced diver, just posing a further thought/question.

This is becoming quite annoying, three weekends of diving (at least) out due to hurricanes - this joke is getting quite old right now :wink:

I can't imagine it would be a good or even safe dive. Set waves at the Cocoa Beach pier today were 6' - 8'.

I know an instructor that is down in Bonaire right now. He was diving before Ivan came through. The surge extended down to 90 fsw. Each time a surge came the sand would get stirred up reducing visibility to almost nil, then the sand would settle and he could see again. He gave a much better description, sounded pretty cool.

Bill

If there's any swell at all, bag it and hit SBI for Bahama Mama's instead.

My experience with the Inlet (10+yrs), is that it needs to be dead flat at the peak of a very high tide. And even then, it sometmes sucks. Keep heading south to Wabasso or Vero for better vis.

jokeborn:

If you go, I'd love to read a dive report.

Al

You will need to go lookbut the odds are that the currents and viz will be aweful. This is one time that a BAd day or Diving isn't as good as a bad day at work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom