Florida diving - Jupiter/High Springs questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,

The wife and I are flying into Orlando on Friday (10/22) and will be there until the following Saturday (10/30). I've already
signed up for the Epcot dive (10/23), but would like to get some other diving in while I am there (too cold up here in a
wetsuit...brr...

Anyway, I was looking into a few different places (locations that is) to go, and here is what I've come up with:

Jupiter, FL

High Springs, FL

Here are my questions:

1) Of the two locations, which is better for diving? I'm a recently certified diver, and have never dove in saltwater before.
I'll be bringing: BP/W setup, Jetfins, mask, 1st stage w/ regulator and octo, boots and gloves. It wouldn't be such a big deal
except for the fact that they are about the same distance from Disney, but in opposite directions.

2) An LDS here told me that they've used Jupiter Dive Charters (www.jupiterdivecharters.com) in the past and have had
great times with them. Has anyone used them before? What have your experiences been?

3) If I don't use Jupiter Dive Charters, is there anyone else you can recommend? I've come across the Jupiter Dive Center's
website (http://www.jupiterdivecenter.com/index.html), and it seems like they offer quite a bit. What have people's experiences been with them?

4) As I've said, I've never dove in saltwater before. I'll be bringing a thermal skin, will that be adequate thermal/abrasion
protection? I've got a 5mm 2pc wetsuit, but I'd prefer not to lug it along if I don't have to.

5) Is there anyone who will be doing any diving in that area over that time period who would want to come? I'm interested in learning all I can
about local diving there and it would be great to have a local diver around.

Thanks!

Derek,

glad you asked, there is one fairly big problem at the moment with High Springs - its under a lot of water, the springs are closed and water isnt so pretty as its flooded out. I would suggest Jupiter, JD Charters is a good op, i havent used them since last december, but i have been diving further south on the reefs, but would like to go back to check out Jupiter again. Check out Orlando_Eric's reports lately of the diving. From what i recall the main reefs are around 70-80ft, they put a DM in the water with you (group) and the prices were reasonable. I actually did my first saltwater dives with them, make sure you are down to a reasonable freshwater weight (ie not what they put you in teh pool with, probably lighter than that part of your class) and add 4-6# - although i guess the wetsuit you are using will be new to you as well, i would suggest a 3-5mm one piece depending on your cold threshold, a skin might be a little cold, it should be around 78-80F around that time.

As for availability, cant quite say yet, i think i will be out on 10/23 and for the halloween weekend. If you want to get together with people off the board, they are thinking of a camping/diving trip near Ginnie at Manatee state park, but i would say the options at this time around there are quite limited - just my opinion.

Hello,

The wife and I are flying into Orlando on Friday (10/22) and will be there until the following Saturday (10/30). I've already
signed up for the Epcot dive (10/23), but would like to get some other diving in while I am there (too cold up here in a
wetsuit...brr...

Anyway, I was looking into a few different places (locations that is) to go, and here is what I've come up with:

Jupiter, FL

High Springs, FL

Here are my questions:

1) Of the two locations, which is better for diving? I'm a recently certified diver, and have never dove in saltwater before.
I'll be bringing: BP/W setup, Jetfins, mask, 1st stage w/ regulator and octo, boots and gloves. It wouldn't be such a big deal
except for the fact that they are about the same distance from Disney, but in opposite directions.

Everything in High Springs is not relaly diveable due to the rivers being in flood stage. Except Paradise, blue grotto, and devil's den, which are in the ocala/williston area. But you would probably need a buddy.

Also EPCOT supplies gear, you can't use yours there.

2) An LDS here told me that they've used Jupiter Dive Charters (www.jupiterdivecharters.com) in the past and have had
great times with them. Has anyone used them before? What have your experiences been?

They are great! Highly recommend.

3) If I don't use Jupiter Dive Charters, is there anyone else you can recommend? I've come across the Jupiter Dive Center's
website (http://www.jupiterdivecenter.com/index.html), and it seems like they offer quite a bit. What have people's experiences been with them?

Don't use them. I used to when the capt and boat from question #2 was there, but that boat left cuz of questionable practices of the jupiter dive center guys. Also jupiter dive center's guy had his little finger bit off by a puffer fish he was harrassing.

4) As I've said, I've never dove in saltwater before. I'll be bringing a thermal skin, will that be adequate thermal/abrasion
protection? I've got a 5mm 2pc wetsuit, but I'd prefer not to lug it along if I don't have to.

I hear air temps were cool in the mornings, however the water temps were 80 or so.

5) Is there anyone who will be doing any diving in that area over that time period who would want to come? I'm interested in learning all I can
about local diving there and it would be great to have a local diver around.

Thanks

OneBrightGator:
:classic:

:D
I'm driving to Gainesville to kick your butt for that one! But I guess they don't have a "I'm with the most awesome, beautiful diver alive" smililey icon.

Thanks for the quick replies! Woah, I guess High Springs wouldn't be such a great idea, but I may head up that way one day anyway to check out the Extreme Exposure store. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear. I just can't see wasting an entire week in FL simply bouncing around the different themeparks (this will be my 3rd time to Disney - been there/done that), when the water is still so warm. I dove in 52 degree weather for an hour yesterday in my 2pc 5mm Henderson, so I'm sure that either a thermal diveskin or a 1pc 3mm will be plenty.

Seems like we picked a bad week to come down, everyone will be working during the week and I'll be heading back that Saturday. If anyone has any free time during the week and wants to go, let me know.

non-diving related, but since you will be at EPCOT, they are having their international food and wine festival now thru november something. Its my favorite time to go there! Go hungry.

I would again aim at the 3mm suit. You can take your mask to Epcot, but that is all, the water is a balmy 86F, mmm, that was good. Have you tried the other theme parks of Universal/IOA, Seaworld or gone down to Busch Gardens? Whilst you are down the way in Jupiter, you could drive down to Ft Lauderdale, its only another 1.5 hours and hit brownies, as far as i am aware they carry the same gear as EE, or if you dont need H stuff, hit dive-rite express just north of Ft L. This hasnt been a great last two months to dive the springs, many of us are still reeling from the huge amount of rainfall and wind stopping us from diving due to flooding and downed trees. Strange how adding more water stops you from going in the water, almost ironic :wink:

Wendy:
non-diving related, but since you will be at EPCOT, they are having their international food and wine festival now thru november something. Its my favorite time to go there! Go hungry.
Good to know, I'll inform the wife, I'm sure we'll love it! Thanks!

simbrooks:
I would again aim at the 3mm suit. You can take your mask to Epcot, but that is all, the water is a balmy 86F, mmm, that was good. Have you tried the other theme parks of Universal/IOA, Seaworld or gone down to Busch Gardens? Whilst you are down the way in Jupiter, you could drive down to Ft Lauderdale, its only another 1.5 hours and hit brownies, as far as i am aware they carry the same gear as EE, or if you dont need H stuff, hit dive-rite express just north of Ft L. This hasnt been a great last two months to dive the springs, many of us are still reeling from the huge amount of rainfall and wind stopping us from diving due to flooding and downed trees. Strange how adding more water stops you from going in the water, almost ironic :wink:
86F? I'll be in heaven! I'll be renting the suit, so a 3mm would be fine. I'm almost thinking I should just drive down to the Keys, but I know the wife won't want to do that (she's a non-diver). Theme parks really don't do it for me anymore. I'll have a good time don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have just gone to the Keys and dove for the week.

Thanks again Simon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom