Destin Jetties dive report 10/23/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes, we made it into the water today. Four SBers early in the morning with a couple of SuPrBuGmAn's friends. High tide was at 7:00 am, viz varied at times between 15' and 25', temperature was 75 degrees. No fears of fecal content in the water due to a clean sampling report on 10/18/04. We made two dives and by the end of the second dive the current was extremely strong as we crawled our way back from the point. Lots of fish bones and heads that had been dumped by the local fishermen - pretty ugly! Many remora, doctorfish, flounder, spadefish, blue crab, a large sheepshead, catfish, usuals, and a filefish. I had a great time with Seaangel, SuPrBuGmAn (and friends), and FSUgly. Attached are some pictures.

SeaYoda:
No fears of fecal content in the water due to a clean sampling report on 10/18/04. Lots of fish bones and heads that had been dumped by the local fishermen - pretty ugly! QUOTE]

Wow I thought that diving in an Ohio quarry was bad.
Why would you chose to dive in fecal mater and dead fish?
Or am I just being picky?

Is that the best Fla has to offer in your area?

Good pix and it does look like fun!
Dive Dive Dive!

The fecal stuff is usually under control except when there are a lot of tourists or storms. The fishermen are not supposed to dump their fish remains at the Jetties but sometimes you get a lazy jerk that messes up the view. The crabs and resident fish enjoy the meal so things are not all bad. We never know what we'll get until we get down there - SURPRISE!:)
Most of the time the dive is great, today was overall about a 7.5 on a scale of 10. Come join us some time - we're more than willing to share :D.

Since I've been diving there, this past weekend was the only time we've had to worry about cancelling due to fecal particles. The fishheads are on the far end of the jeddy bend, they aren't scattered about the entire dive. Most places don't even sample the water for pollutants, I consider us lucky for knowing.

I'd be more worried about the runoff from pesticides, sewage, and the feces of farm animals draining into the water table at quarries more than I worry about the beach.

I had a great time, it was a nice change from the springs and I can't wait till next time.

Great pics SeaYoda :) I'm a hansom devil!

Yes, it was a really good day for diving. It was very nice to finally meet some SB'ers, and I thank the 3 (+ the 2 friends) for allowing me to come along. I can't wait til the next time either.

I agree that those are some very good pictures. I can't believe how clear they are, esp from the distance you took them.

Doesn't look like we're going to have another day-time high tide this year... What a friggin bummer! :(

I got back home last night at 9:30pm. I had a great time on the dive. Glad though that I decided not to make that second dive. My right ear and head were very congested Sat. night. I took some decongestants, and used my ear mixtures. Seemed to help, but what really was the most help was last night driving as we came out of Atlanta and towards Augusta going up some of the hills my ears began popping like crazy, man did that ever feel good. This morning the ears feel almost normal again.

I want to thank you guys for a great dive. I really enjoyed the dive. I have not had a chance to download my pictures yet. Some were pretty good. Will share later.

Glad you got home OK and are feeling better. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

As for the lack of High tides, I had not checked but knew it was coming - looks like spring dives for a while.

Dudes do you not have access to a boat??? Just curious. The WAY better dive is the rubble like 3 km out I would have to fire up my gps I still have it plotted. Any of the LDS will have grids to them. Talk to Chuck in Niceville. Chucks Dive World. Or is the DS right at the end of the bridge still there. Any way MAD Amber Jack YUM some Snapper and usually a lot of fish, rays, sharks, ect all over it. It is not as good as Key West Reef but none the less. Not to mention gear that the cherries drop when they panic. the average recovery after two team dives would be like 1 spear, 2 masks 2 weight belts Usaually with like 30# of weight hehe, we have even found three large boat ancors. The Miss Jenny or miss Louise (can't remember) is a barge more toward Sandestin but there was like a 300# Jewfish living on her but that was 3 years ago. It gave me a bit of a startle as I was following a 20 or so #er it went under the barge I went over and was gonna come down on top to get a shot and I met a mouth about the size of a VWBug hood. I was upside down and backwards my buddy thought it quite humerous.

The majority of us have dove offshore in Destin before, but the price starts to stack up. Diving the beach/springs every weekend is ahellovalot cheaper than diving offshore every weekend. If you have the money to pull that kind of thing off, good for you, however, don't talk down at people who simply can't afford - or can't justify that kind of expense.

Buy me a boat and pay for the gas, I promise you I'll dive offshore as often as possible :D

Besides, believe what you will, beach dives are still tons of fun even if you don't have the most optimal conditions.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom