Snorkelling in Fort Lauderdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadaug

New
Reaction score
Hello all, just joined SB!!!

I'm heading to Ft. Lauderdale for a quick week end with a non "water-baby" friend. Can any of you tell me of any jetties or other spots for getting in a quick snorkel close to the downtown area?

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums. Like Scott said, check there for the Florida forum.

It would help in future diving discussions if you'd complete your Profile with location. You can use the Quick Links for such changes. And sizing a photo for your profile or Avatar can be a challenge; I'm a fumbling amateur, but I get the job done, if you'd like any help?

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Heya and welcome to the Board! Believe it or not, I've never done the snorkel thing before (exceptions to classes) but we usually dive Lauderdale by the Sea. Usually right off of Hibiscus Street. Nice shallow reefs there, but I'm not sure of the water clarity atm..
Feel free to pm me with any more questions, I'll certainly try to find you an answer.

Cheers,
Vickie

WELCOME to ScubaBoard!!!
Hope you find your answer. And there are many other things SCUBA and non- to find and join in on ScubaBoard.
See you around the threads.

Tom

If you want to stay close to downtown, Ft Lauderdale beach is a good place to start. If go past the first set of floats you'll find the first reef. Do not know what the viz is right now. Lots of luck.

Dive Safely

Joe

Hi seadaug, my name is Matt. I’d like to welcome you to Scuba Board! It’s a really nice place for divers to meet other divers. Take care. :scubadive

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

seadaug:
SNIP...I'm heading to Ft. Lauderdale for a quick week end with a non "water-baby" friend. Can any of you tell me of any jetties or other spots for getting in a quick snorkel close to the downtown area?
Sure, but first a note... snorkeling here isn't like many places because though our reefs are shallow (10' to 20') they require some swimming to approach. I always suggest people take a float rather than a bouy. The yellow donut-type with the horiontal flag works great because you can rest on it and throw frozen bottles of water into the hole.

Not many people know about the great reef ledges right off the Marriott at the east end of the 17th Street Causeway. To get there, drive (or take the bus!) east and follow A1A as it swings north. Park to your right in the first public lot you see, at the south end. Walk a little south onto the Marriott's "beach" (it's public) and you're in the area.

I haven't been diving there for a couple of years, but the Marriott did a FANTASTIC discovery dive for Marvel - and look at her NOW! We can't get her out of the water. It's $150 if you have the cash and your "non water baby" will enjoy it, I promise. Snorkeling, of course, is free.

It takes a bit of swimming to get to our reefs and ledges, as I said, but they're fairly close in there as I recall - I'm not going to guess how much closer than the usual 150 yards but it's less.

The other spot I highly recommend is Lauderdale by the Sea, just south of the Commercial Blvd (Angler's) pier. Park at the pier or on Datura (one street south) and head into the water about 100 - 200 yards. The reef there is very close-in and has a lot of life - I've seen snorklers hovering over large morays, turtles, rays and of course all of our usual fish. In fact, I snorkel there often rather than use a tank.

Unfortunately, the hurricane season has taken its toll and a lot of the fans and georgonians have been blown off the "honeycombs" that were getting sparce enough LAST year. If you have a nice, clear day with calm water 2 days beforehand, though, you will enjoy yourself.

If you try it, make sure you post how 17th Street looks! It may be worthwhile to do a group trip there, folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom